Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

Replies to: Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

• SJ2727SJ2727 Registered User Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    More from Stanford: (sorry if repeat of a post I my have missed)

“While former Stanford University sailing coach John Vandemoer pleaded guilty to accepting $270,000 in bribes from a bogus charity to “recruit” two teens with little boating experience, the college said Thursday it has discovered the program took in another $500,000 in donations from the same nonprofit linked to a third student who still attends the school.
    This student received no recommendation from the head sailing coach but was admitted to Stanford and is currently enrolled,” the school said in a lengthy Q&A posted on its website. “The student has no affiliation with the sailing program. We are working to better understand the circumstances around this student and will take whatever actions are appropriate based on what we learn.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Third-student-linked-to-college-admissions-scam-13690644.php
  • sdteaksdteak Registered User Posts: 192 Junior Member
    @milee30 Singer was one of the co-founders of the University of Miami online high school. I don't know for sure, but that might be the connection between Florida and California.

"In 2000, Rick and three other educators created the first online high school, the University of Miami Online High School in which Rick and his team created a student population of over 18,000 students annually paying over $15,000 per year to attend until Kaplan College Preparatory purchased the rights."
  • LisaNCStateLisaNCState Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    edited March 15
    @Aussiemom - My problem and many others in the forum are that parents are taking advantage of this accommodation to cheat (case and point Felicity and who knows how many!). Singer knew this loophole and many others know this loophole and he exploited fully!

Sunlight is the best disinfection. The school must publish what's the percentage of the kids are given accommodations (someone mentioned private schools are abusing -50% kids are given accommodations that's ridiculous)

Personally, I did not know one can get EXTRA time in SAT/ACT and seems easy to do if one has money (Case and point Felicity and others) and one can't challenge you since it's under the disguise of a medical condition and one can't question it.

SAT/ACT with school help need to address this problem as well
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,446 Senior Member
    @LisaNCState. Once again it is NOT easy to get extra time. Of course when you go through the proper channels. I won't belabor this since you have read all of our accounts of this. Felicity etc didn't go through proper channels. Most of us don't have $15,000 - $500,000 to burn for scammers to make something happen. I am assuming an educational lawyer for hire is not a cheap endeavor either.
    edited March 15
    I don't know about you @Knowsstuff but people like Felicity and many private school parents have means to do whatever it takes to get that extra time in SAT/ACT. I already sent an email to SAT/ACT about this and will take appropriate actions what deem necessary!
    @LisaNCState. It just seems this topic has been explored in depth already here. Yes, people lie /cheat to try to get ahead. I have known some of them. I can only try to do the right thing for me and my family.
    Agreed @Knowsstuff - if one is doing the right they don't need to worry .. Cheaters are the one who will face College Board and FBI music!
    I was told long ago . If you don't do anything wrong then you can't get caught!
    Never ever underestimate the power of mom who wants to do the RIGHT thing!