right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

Replies to: Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

• momo2x2018momo2x2018 861 replies49 threadsRegistered User Member
    Semprevivo, who pleaded guilty to multiple counts, is now suing Georgetown to block the expulsion of his son, a *tennis recruit*

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-georgetown-lawsuit-college-admissions-scandal-20190515-story.html
    · Reply · Share
  • bearpantherbearpanther 677 replies12 threadsRegistered User Member
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/15/college-admissions-scandal-adam-semprevivo-stephen-semprevivo-georgetown-tennis-bribery-rick-singer/3677541002/

"A Georgetown University undergraduate student whose dad has already pleaded guilty to paying $400,000 to the ringleader of a nationwide college admissions bribery scheme is now suing the school to try to stop disciplinary action from the university.

But shortly after the student, Adam Semprevivo, filed suit Wednesday, Georgetown informed him and another student of its intent to dismiss them from the university."

The other student may be Isabelle Henriquez, the one who allegedly gloated over getting away with cheating.

Other interesting info from the article:

--his GPA and SAT were apparently within Georgetown's standards. He maintained at 3.18 GPA at Gtown.
    --He is alleging the school did not follow at least 10 of its own honor code regulations in its investigation
    --he is alleging in the lawsuit that Georgetown knew something was up with Coach Ernst 2 years ago and of Semprevivo's connection to Ernst but that they

"(1) continued to knowingly accept tuition payments for Semprevivo, (2) allowed Semprevivo to take and complete courses, and (3) allowed Semprevivo to earn credits for completed courses."
    · Reply · Share
    @momo2x2018 and I must have posted at the same time! And to be clear, Georgetown is not just expelling, they are rescinding the initial acceptance so all credits earned are wiped out.

Just read another article on this at The Daily Beast:

"The lawsuit accuses Georgetown of not even bothering to read his admissions application. “If you look at Adam’s high school transcripts, his letters of recommendation, and his resume it’s clear that his sport choice was basketball. He was even on the basketball team,” Kenner said. “So the school either didn’t read his application or didn’t care to read his application.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/college-admissions-scandal-georgetown-student-adam-semprevivo-sues-school-after-dad-admits-to-dollar400k-bribe
    · Reply · Share
  • EENYMumEENYMum 198 replies0 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    edited May 15
    Wondered if Georgetown was going to take action to dismiss students. The female student (possibly) dismissed also has a sister involved in the scandal at Northwestern.
    The lawsuit seems a bit much, then again I can't imagine what the kids have been through...even if some were 100% involved.
    edited May 15
    · Reply · Share
    Adam Semprevivo is claiming he knew nothing about the tennis fakery, but also seems to admit one of the reasons he didn't know is because Singer filled out and signed his application for him. There is also an email about playing tennis allegedly written by Semprevivo.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 26765 replies174 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    And to be clear, Georgetown is not just expelling, they are rescinding the initial acceptance so all credits earned are wiped out.

We discussed that pages ago. In such cases, eliminating credits fraudulently earned is sop.
    · Reply · Share
  • IWannaHelpIWannaHelp 412 replies2 threadsRegistered User Member
    Adam Semprevivo is claiming he knew nothing about the tennis fakery, but also seems to admit one of the reasons he didn't know is because Singer filled out and signed his application for him.

Can someone explain to me how that could be true? Wouldn’t the applicant need to write his/her essay using the same portal? That couldn’t have been allowed to be done by Singer. Isn’t the applicant required to review it even if it’s done by a consultant?
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34156 replies378 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    There are many cases where the parents' mistakes can cost the kids. One easy one: they don't pay the college bills. Not sure I buy in to the idea of "innocent by disassociation." The kids may not have been actve accomplices, but find themselves in a tough position.

Earlier, some said the parents didn't trust the kids' abilities, what colleges they could've gotten into without cheating. I think I'd reframe that as: didn't stop to consider the potential costs to their kids. Now, they reap.

Technically, Adam's case is being presented by his presumably pricy attorneys. They can claim what they want, but it does not mean it will hold water.

And in law, you can try, as defense, "Well, they weren't plotting something worse." But they are charged with what they did do. And if found guilty, will have consequences.

I think Huffman will see time in jail. BUT, how much more that 8 hours, I don't know. They'll protect her, call it "holding," not send her to a maximum security prison. That's my guess.

Now, I do wish some could find links from credible law journals or sites- not common media, UAToday, Daily Beast. What's next, TMZ?
    · Reply · Share
    Here's from the National Law Journal, don't know if this is acceptable or not?

https://www.law.com/nationallawjournal/2019/05/15/student-sues-georgetown-after-his-dad-is-busted-in-admissions-scandal/

And if USA Today and Daily Beast aren't credible, there was also a link to the LA Times. In perusing the net I also found articles from the Washington Post, NYT, WSJ, CBS, Reuters, and CNN, all with varying amounts of detail.

I could not find anything relevant on TMZ. :-)
    · Reply · Share
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 861 replies49 threadsRegistered User Member
    @bearpanther
    I must have posted at the same time!

Great minds! :wink:
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22990 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The John Edwards affair was initially a National Enquirer story.
    · Reply · Share
  • RandyErikaRandyErika 475 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    @twoinanddone The crimes committed are not simply that they paid someone to cheat on a test, falsified a resume, and signed a false application. I have no problem with setting an example of these parents and giving them a sentence that hurts a little more than their overstuffed pocketbooks. Cruel and unusual - no. But sending a message that such privileged entitlement won’t be tolerated - yep.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29423 replies58 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If the kid never applied to the college, then that was not his application that was accepted. GT should kick him out and put the tuition paid into escrow while they sue the parent and coach for fraud.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22990 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I like the arguement that the school knew about the tennis coach admitting special cases and yet continued to allow them to take classes and pay for them.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom9collegemom9 795 replies30 threadsRegistered User Member
    @IWannaHelp The essay gets copied and pasted into the application. A kid who has never applied to college would not necessarily know that am app has to be signed by them. I know if I told my kids that we had a consultant who we were paying to make sure the apps were done correctly, they’d have no reason to doubt me. Singer likely would take the essay and copy and paste it right into the app and electronically sign it. I find it very plausible that a kid might not be aware of this kind of activity.
    · Reply · Share
  • IWannaHelpIWannaHelp 412 replies2 threadsRegistered User Member
    @collegemom9
    Wouldn’t that make it not the kid’s application though? Anyone that relies on others to do the whole application has no business to be in any good schools, let alone top colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • threeofthreethreeofthree 1035 replies40 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Regarding the coaches salary - Pretty sure Auburn covers it's athletic costs with it's game receipts and fundraising/donations - same for Alabama, probably a number of other SEC schools too. Auburn athletics had surplus $'s in excess of $10M/$15M for at least the last 5 years. Athletics at those schools don't negatively impact academic budgets - although I do believe they share some of their money with the marching band program (that may fall under athletics though?).
    · Reply · Share
  • privatebankerprivatebanker 5273 replies77 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @threeofthree If donors and boosters wanted to endow the head coaches salary at Auburn. Could t the gate receipts be then used for more merit scholarships or new dorms. I don’t see why people wouldn’t see a benefit with this approach.

Which is all hypothetical anyway.
    · Reply · Share