right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Spain? Italy? Hawaii? Where do you want to travel WHILE getting college credit? REGISTER NOW for a virtual College Fair on Sept. 29!
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

1239240241242243245»

Replies to: Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

• Sue22Sue22 6928 replies121 threads Super Moderator
    Good for them. It's sad that Huffman felt she had to fix the scores of kids who were clearly capable of getting into great schools on their own, particularly when there are so many good test-optional schools. I'm sure their applications were gone through with a fine-toothed comb by the admissions committees that reviewed them.

At least once caught Huffman responded to the situation appropriately. She manned up, did her time, and apologized (and is still apologizing) for what she did. I can respect that. Lori Laughlin, not so much. I think Loughlin's days of Hallmark Channel queendom are over.
    · Reply · Share
  • bearpantherbearpanther 734 replies12 threads Member
    Sophia's dad even commented last year that the school Sophia was most interested in (and where her audition was cancelled because of the scandal) was Julliard which apparently didn't even require her SAT scores.

She must be very talented to get auditions from Julliard and Carnegie Mellon (I really hope its her talent and not her parentage; in fact, one might think her parentage would be a mark against her, not for her at this point).
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 7930 replies39 threads Senior Member
    I am glad for the kids. But the parents have some natural pull here regardless of their own "real" test scores. Don't think any school wants the publicity or do they? Nice to say we have the child of "X" star also. It will help with admissions like next year. Heh, If I had some pull for my kids I would use it in a heart beat but not doing what they initially did.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 57905 replies3037 threads Senior Member
    edited May 21
    UPDATE:
    Lori Laughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannuli are pleading guilty.
    Under the terms of Loughlin’s plea agreement, the parties have agreed to a sentence, subject to the Court’s approval, of two months in prison, a $150,000 fine and two years of supervised release with 100 hours of community service. Under the terms of Giannulli’s plea agreement, the parties have agreed to a sentence, subject to the Court’s approval, of five months in prison, a $250,000 fine and two years of supervised release with 250 hours of community service.
    https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/pr/california-couple-college-admissions-case-agrees-plead-guilty
    edited May 21
    · Reply · Share
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom 5668 replies338 threads Senior Member
    edited May 21
    Under the terms of Loughlin’s plea agreement, she will be sentenced to two months in prison, a $150,000 fine and two years of supervised release with 100 hours of community service.

Loughlin's husband will be sentenced to five months in prison, a $250,000 fine and two years of supervised release with 250 hours of community service.

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/nation-world/lori-loughlin-and-her-husband-to-plead-guilty-in-college-admissions-scandal/507-529dcbe5-4caf-4164-bef0-a44328388c8f

I wonder why the husband got a harsher penalty and what made them change their minds about the guilty plea? I'm also curious about how much they paid their lawyer(s)
    edited May 21
    · Reply · Share
    Blah.. Anti-climatic. Don't see this is a deterrent.
    · Reply · Share
  • emilybeeemilybee 14770 replies41 threads Senior Member
    They changed their minds because they knew they’d be found guilty and facing much harsher sentence than if the pled guilty.
    · Reply · Share
    He has more charges against him, that is probably why his sentence longer:

"Loughlin will plead guilty to conspiracy to commit wire and mail fraud, and Giannulli will plead guilty to conspiracy to commit wire and mail fraud and honest services wire and mail fraud."

From: https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/us/lori-loughlin-guilty/index.html
    · Reply · Share
    I also think L and G were really hoping the case would be thrown out when they alleged prosecutorial misconduct over something in Rick Singer's notes but the judge didn't buy it and set trial for October. I wonder if the other remaining defendants will fall like dominoes now?
    · Reply · Share
  • CheeringsectionCheeringsection 2786 replies83 threads Senior Member
    It is too bad that the fines they will pay cannot be used as scholarship $$s. I know the amounts are not material to them but they could have been for someone trying to pay for school.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 3007 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Knowsstuff wrote: »
    Blah.. Anti-climatic. Don't see this is a deterrent.

I don't know. Reputation is important in both of their careers, and they are left with the worst possible case - neither following the Felicity Hoffman's Confession-and-Redemption scenario (Hollywood loves them a good redemption story), or actually fighting it, and continuing to claim innocence. This way, they neither have the sympathy that a tearful "in my zeal for my kid's futures I did something very wrong, and I'm truly sorry" would have, nor the respect that a "I stand by what I did, and I am willing to pay the price" would have (the latter would also have the "right" type of scandal which could help somewhat). Reputation is important, and both have their reputations in shreds.
    · Reply · Share
    So he will redesign all the jump suits with something very comfortable and great looking and she will do something great then turn this whole thing into a HallMark movie...agh...then we get to hear about her kids complaining since the Yacht won't be ready to ship out and it's a "nice" day outside.....agh.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 11912 replies161 threads Senior Member
    edited May 21
    May be a great plea deal based on what we as the public know now. Two months for her plus 2 years supervised release & a fine; 5 months for him plus 2 years supervised release & a fine.

Not clear, but seems that she will plead guilty to one count & he to two counts.

Wonder if the jail time will be served as home confinement due to coronavirus.

The supervised release sometimes can be terminated early.

Important to know the stipulated facts & whether or not any appeals (underlying crime or sentencing) will be permitted under the terms of the plea agreements.
    edited May 21
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 3007 replies14 threads Senior Member
    Knowsstuff wrote: »
    So he will redesign all the jump suits with something very comfortable and great looking and she will do something great then turn this whole thing into a HallMark movie...agh...then we get to hear about her kids complaining since the Yacht won't be ready to ship out and it's a "nice" day outside.....agh.

😂😂🤣🤣
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 30663 replies59 threads Senior Member
    Timing was good to enter a plea. A lot of jails now substituting jail time with home arrest and monitoring devices. They can design ankle bracelets in a jewelry line
    · Reply · Share