Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

Replies to: Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

• ScipioScipio Registered User Posts: 8,836 Senior Member
    I agree that Macy escaped by the skin of his teeth. I never heard of Mossimo until this blew up. I have never heard of most fashion big names, and I'm sure it shows.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,561 Senior Member
    LOL @Scipio I only own anything of his because his big famous collection was at...Target :)
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,005 Super Moderator
    I have never heard of most fashion big names
    Calling Mossimo a "big name" in fashion would be an overstatement.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,360 Senior Member
    At Target *and* dirt cheap. Dont let the Italian or single name label fool.
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 Registered User Posts: 684 Member
    @Scipio
    I never heard of Mossimo until this blew up. I have never heard of most fashion big names, and I'm sure it shows.

If you shop in Target, you know Mossimo!

Moving trucks were at the Laughlin house today, taking out masses of furniture etc.; IDK what that means...Yikes!
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 2,099 Senior Member
    The sad thing is I think most parents at our high school would do this in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it.
  • epiphanyepiphany Registered User Posts: 8,499 Senior Member
    The sad thing is I think most parents at our high school would do this in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it.
    That's what I said earlier, and I still mean it, unfortunately. And I don't even have to say that I "think" they would do it. They have as much told me upfront, prior to this event, that they would.

• RiversiderRiversider Registered User Posts: 399 Member
    edited April 16
    It’s ironic that all of these parents have wealth and influence to legally buy donation seats at any college but they used money to do dumb illegal fraud. They have so much money to make donations, pay bribes and still easily afford full sticker price COA.

On other side, hard working and intelligent kids who get accepted on merit, end up going elsewhere because they don’t get financial aid and their parents can’t even afford to pay tuition for these colleges.

Such a rigged system.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,991 Senior Member
    Cameras are almost never allowed in federal courtrooms.

Never allowed in federal court. Some courts allow audio recording.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,360 Senior Member
    Riversider, I think you're mixing several issues. What these parents did is not legal. It isn't about affordability or FA policies for other students that's being examined in the lawsuit. I get that the legit process concerns you. But that's a different topic. It matters insofar as these parents veered off that path. But the lawsuit isn't a referendum on admissions policies.

We dont have a universally free post secondary system. But that's not the lawsuit. Nor is what financial choices less wealthy families make.
  • RiversiderRiversider Registered User Posts: 399 Member
    I know, that was just an additional comment not related to their case but isn’t it dumb that they could’ve bought these seats with direct donations instead of committing fraud?
  • itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue Registered User Posts: 538 Member
    On a side note, Massimo's (private label) brand is no longer carried at Target. Target re-branded all Men's, Women's, and Children's apparel two years ago.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 75,335 Senior Member
    Actually 500k doesn’t get you any development preference. Maybe a courtesy glance.

http://www.dartblog.com/data/2014/09/011686.php says that (in 2014) "it now appears that 4%- 5% of incoming freshman are given special admissions consideration due to large gifts to Dartmouth by their parents."

It seems unlikely that anywhere close to 4%-5% of Dartmouth students are kids of building-level donors. That suggests that "smaller" big donations are more common and would get a smaller admissions boost than building-level donations.
  • itcannotbetrueitcannotbetrue Registered User Posts: 538 Member
    actually @ucbalumnus, it is completely plausible that 4-5% of admitted students are building-level donors. From Dartmouth's website:

Undergraduate: 4,410
    Graduate/professional: 2,099
    Total enrollment head count: 6,509 (3,144 women, 3,365 men)

I think with all the global money that is out there looking for an Ivy League education, a school like Dartmouth could easily have 300 or so big donor families.