right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

Replies to: Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

• Nrdsb4Nrdsb4 16720 replies156 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16,876 Senior Member
    Athletes aren't a bunch of dummies who cheat to get into college. In fact, this thread is about non-athletes who cheated to get into college using athletics as a hook.

Exactly.

· Reply · Share
  • momo2x2018momo2x2018 744 replies46 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 790 Member
    I'm not sure if this has already been uncovered, however, I think one of the more shocking aspects of this saga, is the fact some parents and/or students, faked their race on the apps i.e. Marjorie Klapper, whose son is expected to plead GUILTY!

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/444381-students-in-college-admissions-scandal-advised-to-say-they-were
    · Reply · Share
  • goddess00goddess00 15 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    The cheating on the SAT and or ACT piggybacks on the enormous abuse of accommodations that a great many students receive these days for ambiguous disabilities like anxiety and eye fatigue and so on--many students are coached on what to say to get diagnosed because most DSM diagnoses are an aggregate of self reported symptoms The percentages have risen dramatically every since it could no longer be noted on transcripts/applications. This was a huge mistake as it created a cottage industry of psychologists and accommodations --if you get double time or even multiple days it enables rampant cheating.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2280 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,285 Senior Member
    edited May 21
    "Right, because that's a uniquely effective way to cheat. If we care to avoid repeats of this scenario, we ought to be examining the weaknesses in our higher education system and how they were exploited."

Agree - this side door Singer talked about guaranteed admissions because of athletics, he could bribe the coaches and get them in. He could not bribe the professor of government or quantum physics to do this. That was what he exploited, pretty ingeniously, imo, he wouldn't have been caught if he wasn't ratted out. He had this thing humming. He had applicants who couldn't meet the test minimums and he found a way around that.
    edited May 21
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 1213 replies8 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,221 Senior Member
    @goddess00 Since kids today do, if fact, put a lot more time and effort into academics and ECs, expectations are higher, so the pressure is much higher. Eye fatigue is an issue when kids have 8 hour school days, ECs, and then another 3 hours of homework and studying for exams.

Many kids are coached, but those are a minority, and usually the kids kids of the very wealthy, whose therapists are there to makes sure that their lives are as easy as possible. Most kids who are even a bit competitive or ambitious, are actually living at the edge of freak-outs over most of their high school years.

I have had a front row seat to crippling anxiety, and it ain't pretty. A kid would need to be a very good actor to do that repeatedly.

Truth is, that most highly competitive and ambitious kids are also highly skilled academically. They not only do not request accommodations, but will avoid asking for them. In schools in which kids are trying to one up each other in academic achievements, taking accommodations reduces your social status by a lot.

The faked symptoms pop up in kids who are ambitious but not academically talented, and want to take a short cut, or with parents who want the social cachet of a kid in an "elite" college, without having their kid actually need to do the work. It's just another thing that they give the kid, like a car on their 16th birthday. Sometimes it's because the parents are pressuring the kid to succeed in ways in which the kid is not talented, so this is a way to make the parents happy.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8549 replies314 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 8,863 Senior Member
    @goddess00: The cheating on the SAT and or ACT piggybacks on the enormous abuse of accommodations that a great many students receive these days....The percentages have risen dramatically every since it could no longer be noted on transcripts/applications. This was a huge mistake....if you get double time or even multiple days it enables rampant cheating.

How would requiring students to release their medical diagnosis to colleges -- which would be a violation of their HIPAA rights -- have prevented what these people did? They might have had to be more clever about how they cheated, but it wouldn't have prevented it.
    · Reply · Share
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee 670 replies7 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 677 Member
    edited May 21
    If we care to avoid repeats of this scenario, we ought to be examining the weaknesses in our higher education system and how they were exploited.
    People are vain, weak, selfish and lack ethics. Is there another problem uncovered by this scandal?
    edited May 21
    · Reply · Share
  • letourletour 17 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 17 Junior Member
    I know many kids who are coached into accomodations who aren't wealthy, and there is absolutely no stigma to getting them-actually, those kids say they are smarter than most as they know how to work the system.

My experience has been different. In our rural high school, accommodations are unheard of. I don't know of any kids who had taken accommodations for the ACT or SAT. It is actually a stigma at school to be sent to get extra help.
    · Reply · Share
  • northwestynorthwesty 3410 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,419 Senior Member
    "I'm not sure if this has already been uncovered, however, I think one of the more shocking aspects of this saga, is the fact some parents and/or students, faked their race on the apps"

Singer's operation was amazingly comprehensive and full service. He figured out ways to fraudulently push just about every admissions button. Fake athlete hooks. Fake race hooks. Fake testing accommodations, test sites and test scores. Fake grades via online classes. Fake applications. Fake essays.

The sleepy admission departments were no match for such a clever and well funded operation. Singer was kind of an evil genius when it came to exploiting the system.
    · Reply · Share
  • bluebayoubluebayou 26577 replies174 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 26,751 Senior Member
    edited May 21
    In today's WSJ - Students in Affluent Areas get extra time
    At Scarsdale High School north of New York City, one in five students is eligible for extra time or another accommodation such as a separate room for taking the SAT or ACT college entrance exam.

At Weston High School in Connecticut, it is one in four. At Newton North High School outside Boston, it’s one in three.

“Do I think that more than 30% of our students have a disability?” said Newton Superintendent David Fleishman. “No. We have a history of over-identification [as learning-challenged] that is certainly an issue in the district.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/many-more-students-especially-the-affluent-get-extra-time-to-take-the-sat-11558450347?mod=hp_lead_pos1

Such game playing was only a matter of time once CB settled teh lawsuit and agreed to stop flagging extra time test scores.
    edited May 21
    · Reply · Share
  • goddess00goddess00 15 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    GAO does extensive, published research on education, disability, statistics on percentages and so on. The % of students with accommodations at top tier privates and publics (i.e not schools designed for students with learning disabilities) is quadruple those in public schools. I.e per the above link 20% or 25% is a huge number. For $5000 you can buy a neuropsych evaluation. That skews the occurrence to families with the money.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2280 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,285 Senior Member
    Disability per the ADA, is much more broad than just a learning challenge. Medical conditions like diabetes, or needing a wheelchair would be covered, even if the students did not have a LD. While accommodation requests are being abused no doubt, the superintendent may want consider disabilities more broadly.

"The sleepy admission departments were no match for such a clever and well funded operation. Singer was kind of an evil genius when it came to exploiting the system."

Or aware and somewhat complicit admission department. A HBO miniseries featuring him and the guy that ran TM Landry could be pretty juicy, now that GoT has ended.
    · Reply · Share