Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

Replies to: Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

• bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,676 Senior Member
    edited May 23
    Most tasks in life aren't like the ACT.

Or the SAT, or LSAT or the MCAT or the GRE....
    Getting some extra time on tests is fair and helpful, but isn't all that big of a deal.

Un-needed (not really LD, but purchased a certificate) extra time on the ACT is huge, particularly for the math and science sections.
    A good solution to the accommodation issue would be to design tests that don't rely all that much on time pressure.

Not cost effective, so not a realistic "solution".
  • yearstogoyearstogo Registered User Posts: 648 Member
    DS does math competitions and extra time is HUGE!
  • northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 3,417 Senior Member
    edited May 23
    "Not cost effective, so not a realistic "solution"."

Very easy and cheap actually.

Give everyone 6 hours for the ACT instead of four. That would eliminate the vast majority of accommodations (since the most typical accommodation sought and received is 1.5X time).

While the raw scores might change due to the lessened time pressure, the top 1% of scores will still be the 99th percentile.

Done!
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 32,430 Senior Member
    edited May 23
    6 hours is a burden for some. Our GC advised parents that sitting 4 hours instead of 3 is no favor, if you don't truly need it.

In my day, we sat for Iowa Tests from about 2nd grade on, not sure if every year or every other, through maybe 6th. Something in jr and sr high. Many kids today have never sat for even a 3 hour test.
  • LittleStitiousLittleStitious Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    The most striking thing to me in the Wall Street Journal article was that the College Board approves 94%! of the requests for accommodations (most of which are for extra time according to the article) Hmmmmmm quite a contrast to the many posts on this board claiming that accommodations are usually denied or hard to get.
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 Registered User Posts: 1,062 Senior Member
    edited May 24
    @LittleStitious I believe there was a lawsuit that forced them to accept more requests for accommodations. When my daughter attempted to get extra time on the SAT in 2015, she was denied despite having accomodations at school for ADHD and anxiety since she was 8. She also had a full neuropsych evaluation. We appealed but the appeal was denied.
    From an article: " beginning January 1, 2017, the College Board will automatically approve accommodations for the vast majority of students who receive school-based testing accommodations through a formal school-based plan (IEP or 504 Plan for public school students and comparable plans for private school students)" (https://www.applerouth.com/blog/2016/12/15/sweeping-changes-to-sat-and-act-accommodations)
  • LittleStitiousLittleStitious Registered User Posts: 24 Junior Member
    @Emsmom1 indeed, but there continue to be many posters on this site that insist accommodations are not abused because they are so hard to get and so frequently denied. That is clearly not the case at present.
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 Registered User Posts: 1,062 Senior Member
    @LittleStitious I agree. Surely there is some mid-point between rejecting accommodations requests for those who actually need them (and have a long, documented history of the need for accommodations) and accepting them from everyone.
  • epiphanyepiphany Registered User Posts: 8,574 Senior Member
    The most striking thing to me in the Wall Street Journal article was that the College Board approves 94%! of the requests for accommodations (most of which are for extra time according to the article) Hmmmmmm quite a contrast to the many posts on this board claiming that accommodations are usually denied or hard to get.
    Hmmmmmmmm. Quite a contrast to the many posts on CC over the years documenting that in the recent past well substantiated diagnoses and histories of accommodation have been ignored by College Board as a matter of routine. There have been justified lawsuits against CB for those denials of legitimate requests. Those lawsuits have resulted in a recent change of practice by CB, probably an over-correction of its previous extreme policy in the other direction. Neither practice by CB is appropriate.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,676 Senior Member
    edited May 24
    CB really has no choice, epiphany.

Once a qualified licensed provider submits a full write up after xx-day evaluation, the schools & CB are in no way capable of disproving the need. Unless the schools & CB want to start their own psych analysis program with their own approved docs, they have to rubber stamp the request.

All of this was easily foreseen (and predicted by some of us) way back with CB settled the lawsuit.

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,880 Senior Member
    I think CB is now doing the same as insurance companies when they get a request/claim - deny it first, then if the person appeals, grant the request.

A friend has had accommodations since K. She recently asked for the accommodations for the GRE and it was denied. Appeal. Approved. She needs not only extra time but a private room.
  • epiphanyepiphany Registered User Posts: 8,574 Senior Member
    CB really has no choice, epiphany.
    They "had no choice" previously, but they violated the law, repeatedly.
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom Registered User Posts: 2,705 Senior Member
    The current price for accomodations in my town is $2500, but I understand there is some regional variation.