Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents Afraid College is Dangerous

2»

Replies to: Parents Afraid College is Dangerous

• SouthernHopeSouthernHope Registered User Posts: 2,131 Senior Member
    Have your parents visited the campus? Have them attend accepted students' weekend...they will see that it's one of the most beautiful urban campuses in the country. And with an acceptance rate of 18%, you are one lucky student to have in-state tuition to a school like this.
  • COSpgsparentCOSpgsparent Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    My husband’s friend is an engineering professor there and he’s perfectly safe and healthy. My husband also went to school there and I lived there, too. Nice place.
  • summertssummerts Registered User Posts: 18 Junior Member
    Then take out student loans its simple.
  • scubadivescubadive Registered User Posts: 821 Member
    edited March 14
    My child just graduated from GT and even lived in Homepark with no issues. Living on campus is very safe and well patrolled by the police. Because the campus is so lively with kids about at all hours, I think it makes it safer. The area around GT is changing quickly. Nothside Hospital just opened a few blocks from the varsity. GT just took a block in tech square to rebuild. NCR just built a highrise in tech square a few years ago. A whole foods is being built. The whole area is being torn down with rents soaring. The fear mongering is way overblown. Its no more dangerous than Buckhead.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,767 Forum Champion
    @Jleto18

1) First you must find out if "safety" is the real reason. Sometimes it is because the school is more expensive (but not in your case), farther away, ???
    2) If it is safety, try to get accurate info on both colleges.
    3) Sometimes the "I won't pay for it" is a bluff. Sometimes it is not. So you might have to go to a different college to get them to pay for it. Or you might bluff back and say "Well, I have now found that UGA does not have the underwater basketweaving program I want, so I guess I won't go to college this year. "
    4) Show your parents you take their concerns seriously...do get the book "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker from your library and read it. Read and show your parents the safety options that GT has (http://studentlife.gatech.edu/content/campus-safety).
  • hophop Registered User Posts: 898 Member
    Glad to hear that things have calmed down in your household.

For your own peace of mind, however, I would recommend that you consider contacting your 'safety' school via email, and let them know that you've changed your mind and would like to be able to keep them in consideration.
    Ask them directly if you can reverse your decision, and request that they reinstate your offer.

While you hopefully will be able to win your parents over to seeing GT for all that it is and not need to consider your safe school, for your own mental health in the weeks to come, it could be a way to allow you to be a lot less anxious.
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 8,735 Senior Member
    @summerts , probably not worth my time to respond to your uninformed comment, but... A student cannot just take out $30k in loans annually, or whatever it will cost. The government only gives a student about $5k a year. Even if this student slaved away working, there’s no way he could come up with that money on his own.

• damon30damon30 Registered User Posts: 572 Member
    ^ The OP said he was in-state and qualified for Zell. So that's a net tuition of around $12.5K - $5K = $7.5K/year. Anyway, his parents were bluffing and so just a little drama.
  • happy1happy1 Forum Champion Parents, Forum Champion Admissions Posts: 23,654 Forum Champion
    edited March 18
    Per the terms of service, CC is not a forum for debates. Comments deleted.
    The OP seems to have reached at least a temporary solutions with his parents.
2»