Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
houalschoualsc Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
Hello,

I speak three languages: English, Mandarin Chinese, and Korean.
I'm in high school speech and debate (but I'm not a captain and don't have an executive position).
I have already taken the Korean SAT and got 800/800, and I'm planning on starting a Korean club and taking AP Chinese as a junior.
I was wondering if trilingualism is something that will help with college admissions.

Thanks.

Replies to: Languages

• merc81merc81 Registered User Posts: 9,286 Senior Member
    It might depend on the school, but I'd say yes. As one example, U.S. News profiled a trilingual student with a 3.2 GPA (26 ACT) who was admitted to Middlebury.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 41,072 Super Moderator
    edited March 15
    I'd say Middlebury is an outlier, though. For the most part, I don't think many other colleges are going "Oooooh, multilingual. Let's admit." Remember, most educated people outside English-speaking countries are multilingual. It is just not "all that and a bag of chips." Also be aware that a strong score on an AP exam or SAT Subject Test is hardly an indication of proficiency, as these test to the intermediate-low level of proficiency.

Now if you spent your spare time volunteering with recent Chinese/Korean immigrants, that might make a more interesting story.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 12,772 Forum Champion
    But! You be you. Get involved with activities that are interesting to you. Like @skieurope says, see if you can put your trilinguilism to work in helping others in the community. Colleges want to think about how you will get involved in the college/community if you attended.