Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Replies to: NHS

• domt73domt73 Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    Potential Major: Environmental Engineering
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,666 Forum Champion
    Those are fantastic ECs! They should be what interests you, and what can help the community.

Check out "How to be a High School Superstar" by Cal Newport.

"The basic message of the book is this: Don't wear yourself out taking as many classes as you can and being involved in every club and sport. Instead, leave yourself enough free time to explore your interests. Cultivate one interest and make it into something special that will make you stand out among the other applicants and get you into the toughest schools, even if your grades and scores aren't stellar. Newport calls this the “relaxed superstar approach,” and he shows you how to really do this, breaking the process down into three principles, explained and illustrated with real life examples of students who got into top schools: (1) underscheduling—making sure you have copious amounts of free time to pursue interesting things, (2) focusing on one or two pursuits instead of trying to be a “jack of all trades,” and (3) innovation—developing an interesting and important activity or project in your area of interest. This fruit yielded by this strategy, an interesting life and real, meaningful achievements, is sure to help not only with college admissions, but getting a job, starting a business, or whatever your goals."

http://www.examiner.com/review/be-a-relaxed-high-school-superstar
    @bopper Thank you so much for your feedback. Do u think these extracurriculars will look good to the Ivy League, Stanford, MIT, etc. because they show my passion and service to the community throughout two service clubs (Key Club and Interact Club)?
    Also, some other schools I think these ECs will look good upon and Schools I like are Duke, Vanderbilt, USC, Emory, Michigan Ann Arbor, Northeastern (sister attending this fall and I like the school), UVA, UNC Chapel Hill, Tulane, UFlorida, UMD College Park, Florida State, and U of SC.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 6,895 Senior Member
    I think you have a very nice list of ECs!
    Does anybody else have any other opinions about my ECs?
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 1,855 Senior Member
    Your EC's are all worthy activities to pursue but they're also a garden variety types that aren't going to help you stand out at those colleges -- "Ivy League, Stanford, UChicago, MIT, etc" -- that you're aiming at. Instead of adding more ("I want to fill my application," as you stated) to your activities, you should rather focus on the quality of your involvements that you truly care about. Listing a bunch of "Club" is one sure sign that you're a "application space filler applicant" to the AdComs.
    What are some suggestions about my ECs that can make me stand out @TiggerDad. I just tried doing clubs in my school that interested me, then tried to go out of the box and do volunteer in a park outside of school and try to establish a Club.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 6,895 Senior Member
    I would not add any more clubs during your junior year. I would stick with what you enjoy. Find quality activities/projects within these clubs. As you enter your junior year I would focus on a variety of schools...make sure you have safety and match schools, and make sure they are affordable.

Environmental protection club/ park volunteer: as I mentioned earlier, organize community cleanups, plantings etc. Paint garbage cans and distribute them around ( with permission)

Math and science tutor: does your school have a tutoring center, peer tutors? Get involved in it. Volunteer your time.

You get the picture....

• TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 1,855 Senior Member
    You stated your possible major as Environmental Engineering and you're also in the Environmental Protection Club. The first thing I'd suggest to you is to make a meaningful, significant and deeper connection between the two to help you stand out as one possessing a genuine passion. Forget more clubs. More isn't better, especially in college applications. Whether it's the Environmental Protection Club or your other areas of personal interest, just listing them isn't going to allow you to shine. It's all about meaningful presentation of yourself that can speak to the AdComs and not just another applicant among thousands who has filled all the available spaces in the application but do not "speak" who s/he is.
    @twogirls I signed up to be a peer tutor for math and science. Also, might try to do some out of school if possible with people from different schools.
    @TiggerDad I understand what you are talking about but I’m talking about adding more clubs that I want to do that align with my passion, not clubs to join just for fillers on my application. It is kinda hard because my school offers these clubs, I do all of them, but I feel I wanna do more outside of school.
    I know Colleges see the activities offered, but I want to take the time and effort to do more outside of my school because I truly enjoy them.