right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
College Confidential stands united with African American students and their families against racial injustice and in pursuit of higher education and equality in America.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Zai Dawodu overcame a low GPA to get into top schools like Northwestern or NYU. She'll be attending Northwestern to study Computer Science. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our June Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

NHS

Replies to: NHS

• twogirlstwogirls 7700 replies7 threads Senior Member
    I agree that you should not be concerned now about how to present this on a college app. Right now you need to get moving, get involved in the project, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • domt73domt73 214 replies16 threads Junior Member
    If the schools clubs don’t say yes, should I ask my Rotary Club, Kiwanis Club, or Lions International if they would like to participate?
    · Reply · Share
    @twogirls @whidbeyite2002 actually I don’t think it will work out for me if I did it through Rotary Club, etc.
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 2019
    Start asking schools and see how it goes.
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
    Here is an updated list of EC’s
    Environmental Protection Club
    Math Club
    Engineering Club
    Key Club
    Math and Science Tutor
    Caldwell Nursery Job
    Park Volunteering
    Math and Science Camp Volunteer
    Citizen Climates’ Lobby Intern
    Landscaper (Possibly)
    Chemistry Club (Founder for next year)

My friend and I are going to try to do a chemistry Club and try to get a teacher to help us get kids who want to do more experiments they can’t do in an ordinary class. Also, might do a local garden project before senior year and will raise money during the summer.
    · Reply · Share
  • whidbeyite2002whidbeyite2002 224 replies1 threads Junior Member
    edited May 2019
    Sounds good, @domt73. Wishing you the best!
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
    @whidbeyite2002 Since I am a math and science tutor, should I expand my tutoring to other parts of my town (I mainly did tutoring in my neighborhood)? If so, how should I do this (posting it in supermarkets, websites, etc.)?
    · Reply · Share
    My daughter mainly tutored through her school’s organizations. From my own experience running a business, word of mouth (references) work the best. Printing flyers from home and posting them where families congregate is pretty inexpensive, too.
    · Reply · Share
    @whidbeyite2002 I also got the opportunity to volunteer with an old science teacher to water a community garden. I really enjoy my EC’s but I also want to be focused in them and make them relate to my major as much as possible. What do you think?
    · Reply · Share
    edited May 2019
    The way to get focused on them.... is to start doing them. Get out there and do the work, get your hands dirty, etc. Once you are actively involved in your ECs you could let us know how things are going. Right now I see a lot of questions. Questions are always good, but now it’s time to get going....😊

Tutoring is great. Keep tutoring in your town and let people know you are willing to expand.
    edited May 2019
    · Reply · Share
    Totally agree, @twogirls.

Good luck, @domt73! Go conquer the world (in a good way).
    · Reply · Share
    @twogirls @whidbeyite2002 Thanks😂😂😂
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2894 replies5 threads Senior Member
    "Environmental Protection Club
    Math Club
    Engineering Club
    Key Club
    Math and Science Tutor
    Caldwell Nursery Job
    Park Volunteering
    Math and Science Camp Volunteer
    Citizen Climates’ Lobby Intern
    Landscaper (Possibly)
    Chemistry Club (Founder for next year)"

That's a lot of ECs, selective colleges will think that's too many to make an impact in, which is what they're looking for, especially if you start something in 12th, they may suspect you're padding the EC list. And you've gotten that advice in this thread. The common app has room for only 10 ECs for a reason, and you have 11 listed. It's possible you could move some around to other sections. I would recommend tightening it up so you show you're focused.
    · Reply · Share
    @theIoniusmonk I know there are only 10 activity slots. These are just EC’s I have now, but I said earlier in this thread that I am going to make a separate thread on my EC’s before July 2020, when the Common App opens for the Class of 2025 (college) to apply to. I know these might be a lot, but, there are some that might not be on my official list like Key Club, Math Club, etc. because I might do other things I enjoy better.
    · Reply · Share
    @theIoniusmonk I also don’t wanna put any additional activities in my additional information section.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2019
    Would it matter if I started EPC in tenth grade? I feel like I should’ve started in ninth grade to make it an every year commitment. Btw, I’m also involved in some new activities I like to talk about with you guys
    edited June 2019
    · Reply · Share
    Starting in 10th grade is fine. What are your new activities?
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2019
    @two girls Here are some activities and leadership positions I have.

Activities:
    1. Environmental Protection Club (9-12)/(10-12)
    2. Gardening Helper/Tutor (9-12)
    3. Caldwell Nursery Job (10-12)/(11-12)
    4. Park Volunteering (11-12)
    5. Monarch Butterfly Garden Volunteer (10-12)
    6. Wildflower Hour (11-12) Leader
    7. Project Garden (11-12) Leader
    8. Citizen Climates’ Lobby Intern (11-12)
    9. Pollinator Garden (11-12) Volunteer
    10. WC Community Garden/Care of Park Branch Brook Park (11-12) Volunteer
    11. Young Mulchers of West Caldwell (10-12) Founder

The list will be shorter to make sure I have 10 activities. Wildflower Hour is a project I started in my local library where I’m making a wildflower bed and I want other people in the community to help out. Project Garden is a project I’m going to start next year, where I want to expand my school’s garden, try to get people to help out, and try to expand this to other schools. Young Mulchers of West Caldwell is a business my friends and I are doing this summer where we ask people if they need help mulching. Prob going to get a leadership position for EPC next year also.

Intended Major:Environmental Science
    edited June 2019
    · Reply · Share