Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Replies to: NHS

• whidbeyite2002whidbeyite2002 Registered User Posts: 137 Junior Member
    You could start a GoFundMe, but I believe you need to lay some communication and buy-in groundwork to get the project rolling first. Personally, I would start locally.
  • domt73domt73 Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    @whidbeyite2002 Thanks, probably going to start off at local schools in my town and try stemming out to other towns if possible. I do two sports (Cross Country and Lacrosse) but I probably not going to mention them in my application because they are just hobbies and don’t really show my interests.
    Can you get the Environmental Protection Club, Key Club, or the nursery where you work to help support your project? Also, if your school district offers grants for special projects like ours does that might help.
    @whidbeyite2002 I might. Should I try to add this as a separate project in my college apps then if I decide to bring any of these clubs involved in it.
    You could do it either way. But really—just get the project idea out there so that you find some support. If you really care about the project, getting it going is more important than getting it on your college app right away. Good luck!
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 6,895 Senior Member
    I agree that you should not be concerned now about how to present this on a college app. Right now you need to get moving, get involved in the project, etc.
    If the schools clubs don’t say yes, should I ask my Rotary Club, Kiwanis Club, or Lions International if they would like to participate?
    @twogirls @whidbeyite2002 actually I don’t think it will work out for me if I did it through Rotary Club, etc.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 6,895 Senior Member
    edited May 16
    Start asking schools and see how it goes.
    Here is an updated list of EC’s
    Environmental Protection Club
    Math Club
    Engineering Club
    Key Club
    Math and Science Tutor
    Caldwell Nursery Job
    Park Volunteering
    Math and Science Camp Volunteer
    Citizen Climates’ Lobby Intern
    Landscaper (Possibly)
    Chemistry Club (Founder for next year)

My friend and I are going to try to do a chemistry Club and try to get a teacher to help us get kids who want to do more experiments they can’t do in an ordinary class. Also, might do a local garden project before senior year and will raise money during the summer.
    edited May 16
    Sounds good, @domt73. Wishing you the best!
    @whidbeyite2002 Since I am a math and science tutor, should I expand my tutoring to other parts of my town (I mainly did tutoring in my neighborhood)? If so, how should I do this (posting it in supermarkets, websites, etc.)?
    My daughter mainly tutored through her school’s organizations. From my own experience running a business, word of mouth (references) work the best. Printing flyers from home and posting them where families congregate is pretty inexpensive, too.
    @whidbeyite2002 I also got the opportunity to volunteer with an old science teacher to water a community garden. I really enjoy my EC’s but I also want to be focused in them and make them relate to my major as much as possible. What do you think?