Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

My teacher is giving the whole class a B or below

2»

Replies to: My teacher is giving the whole class a B or below

• skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 42,007 Super Moderator
    college grades are much more based on exams - typically 15% for each of 4 exams, 25% for the final, and 15% for homework/other.
    Obviously this varies by college, but for many, there is a final and one or 2 midterms; 4 is a rarity.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 26,266 Senior Member
    Obviously this varies by college, but for many, there is a final and one or 2 midterms; 4 is a rarity.

Also depends on the college calendar: quarter or semester.
  • HamurtleHamurtle Registered User Posts: 1,920 Senior Member
    One more thing about grading. To get a 5 on AP Bio, you generally score roughly 70%. So the instructor’s scoring is in line with what is expected in a college science course.

My son said that an 80-85% was good enough for an A in Biology 2 class in college. Anyone who got over 90% was pretty much considered a genius. And there were plenty of 70% grades that were normalized to a B.

• websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 2,037 Senior Member
    My kid took AP Bio in high school, knowing he probably will not get an A, because I told my kid to take it to see if he likes biology. I think it's important to try different classes to see if you like certain area. He got B+. One or two B+s didn't hurt his getting into Stanford REA.
    edited April 16
    My kid couldn’t get an A in AP Biology (highest grade he got was B+) although he got a 5 on the AP test and a 790 on the Subject test. Son’s school was well known for tough graders in AP science classes where students who got Cs in class would easily get an A on the AP tests. Supposedly the AP Chemistry Class was graded where a 75% was an A although most students got barely over 60%.

Interestingly enough his AP Biology teacher wrote his college recommendation. And he’s a Biology major at WashU and getting mostly As in his classes. He felt well prepared by how tough he was graded in high school. The OP shouldn’t worry for now-I have a feeling that he/she will do fine on the AP test.
    ^meant to that students who got Cs would easily get a 5 on AP tests.
2»