Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Do I have a chance at Cornell if I Messed up the first two years but then improve?

DebudiqualtzDebudiqualtz Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
The transition into high school was rough, and I messed up my first two years of high school, averaging at about a 3.5 unweighted GPA and 3.7 weighted GPA. This was due to a rough adjustment freshman year and then an ongoing depressive episode in my sophomore year. If I crush the next two years of high school (5.0 GPA, committed to this), do I still have a chance at Cornell University?

Replies to: Do I have a chance at Cornell if I Messed up the first two years but then improve?

• happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,101 Senior Member
    What would your major be there?

Are you in-state for the NYS divisions?
  • DebudiqualtzDebudiqualtz Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    No, I am not in-state, because I live in California. I would major in Stat and Computer Science.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,492 Senior Member
    I think your chances are pretty slim - everyone's (unhooked) chances are with the ivy league - but you should try your best anyway. Are you currently a sophomore? Is it possible for you to get your GPA up to a 3.8+/4.0 UW GPA before the middle of senior year? What is it about Cornell that you like? What can you get there that you can't find at a similar college? What talents will you "bring to the table" at Cornell?