Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Find out Whether the Colleges That Wait-Listed You Will Ever Give You A Decision

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey Editor Posts: 216 Editor
You've been wait-listed at your goal college, and May 1 is quickly approaching. The Dean reveals when the schools might tell you if you're off the waitlist: https://www.collegeconfidential.com/articles/will-the-colleges-that-wait-listed-me-ever-give-me-a-decision/

Replies to: Find out Whether the Colleges That Wait-Listed You Will Ever Give You A Decision

• LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 9,104 Senior Member
    To provide real-life context for this article, three years ago my daughter was waitlisted at three well-known LACs. She emailed LOCIs to LACs #2 and #3. LAC #1 called both her and us to offer her a place around May 3rd, along with a merit award. LAC #2 emailed first, then called to offer her a spot around July 2nd, which she accepted. She attends that school. LAC #3 sent a letter around July 2nd to state they would not take students from the waitlist.

I don’t think it’s common for students to get off waitlists, much less two of them. My daughter assumed none would happen and, until LAC #2 called, she just carried on with her plans to attend the college she deposited at. That meant a wasted Thanksgiving plane ticket. The vast majority of the time, students should proceed as though they won’t get off a waitlist.
  • pianolover032817pianolover032817 Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    Just got removed from the waitlist at University of Chicago. Oh well.