Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The mess that is elite college admissions, explained by a former dean

i012575i012575 Registered User Posts: 463 Member
https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2019/5/1/18311548/college-admissions-secrets-myths

Highlights
1) Recent headlines notwithstanding, the ways the wealthy game the system are remarkably mundane
2) When it comes to elite college admissions, private high schools reign supreme
3) Standardized testing is just as problematic as the vague concept of “preparedness” and as contingent on wealth
4) Men — especially white male athletes — have an unfair admissions advantage over women
5) Rankings are arbitrary, misleading, and poisonous
6) Deserve’s got nothing to do with it
7) Where you go to college doesn’t define you — or guarantee your future
8) The job isn’t easy, and admissions officers do a lot of thankless work

Replies to: The mess that is elite college admissions, explained by a former dean

• roethlisburgerroethlisburger Registered User Posts: 2,626 Senior Member
    my favorite
    Some private schools provided no grades at all, substituting platitudinous fluff for any measurable achievement.
  • TheBigChefTheBigChef Registered User Posts: 482 Member
    "As for the white male athlete comment, I think that's in reference to white athletes being disproportionately represented in most sports (really, pretty much all outside of basketball and maybe football) at the DivIII level."

He raises an interesting argument regarding giving a boost to kids applying to D3 schools as athletes. I'm inclined to agree with him that being a great lacrosse player shouldn't be an admission ticket to Williams or Wesleyan. However, he undercuts his argument by singling out males. Every been to a field hockey or girls lacrosse game? Those are white girl sports.
  • epiphanyepiphany Registered User Posts: 8,570 Senior Member
    This article is also being discussed in the "Feds uncover" thread in this same subforum.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,608 Senior Member
    BTW, England evidently is a Wesleyan grad (with high honors) and was dean of admissions there.
    Wesleyan is a school that especially values legacies in admission, as a policy. Their policy and practice are not identical with the policies and practices at all elite colleges and universities.
  • circuitridercircuitrider Registered User Posts: 3,246 Senior Member
    Wesleyan is a school that especially values legacies in admission, as a policy. Their policy and practice are not identical with the policies and practices at all elite colleges and universities.

I don't think that's true. Wesleyan's legacy admissions are at the low end of the pack, if by "elite colleges and universities", you mean the Ivy League":

Penn - 25%
    Cornell - 22%
    Princeton - 17%
    Dartmouth - 16%
    WESLEYAN - 11%

(Sources: https://www.thedp.com/article/2017/12/early-decision-ivy-league-philadelphia-upenn-admissions-legacy
    https://www.wesleyan.edu/admission/apply/classprofile.html)
    No, @circuitrider I mean elites in general, but thank you for pointing out Wesleyan is behind 4 Ivies in that regard. It may, however, be ahead of some other LAC's. I haven't compared numbers with regard to the latter.
  • Sue22Sue22 Registered User Posts: 6,065 Senior Member
    edited May 9
    BTW, England evidently is a Wesleyan grad (with high honors) and was dean of admissions there.

He was an Assistant Dean (essentially the lowest level of admissions staff) from 2003, the year he graduated, until 2006, during which time he earned his MFA from the University of Iowa.

The staffing for Wesleyan admissions, with the number currently in each position is:
    Assistant Deans (5)->Senior Assistant Deans (2)->Associate Deans (5)->Director of Admission (1)-> Dean of Admission and Financial Aid (1)
  • 1NJParent1NJParent Registered User Posts: 948 Member
    Wesleyan is a school that especially values legacies in admission, as a policy.
    No, @circuitrider I mean elites in general, but thank you for pointing out Wesleyan is behind 4 Ivies in that regard. It may, however, be ahead of some other LAC's. I haven't compared numbers with regard to the latter.

Huh? Did you make the assertion with any comparison?