Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Dual Credit?

wbtaa0824wbtaa0824 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
For dual credit classes, do students have to claim them? I’m planning on taking a dual credit course offered by my high school but actually want to take the real class at whatever uni I end up at. Not sure if they would not let me take the course again at that uni or could I just not claim the credit

Replies to: Dual Credit?

• RichInPittRichInPitt Registered User Posts: 362 Member
    No, nothing forces you to take credit/placement at college. Many top engineering schools my D applied to recommended not placing out of Freshman Calc unless you had a top A and an easy 5 on the AP.

Much as AP and (often community) college dual enrollment courses say they are the same as actual college courses, they often aren't.
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 Registered User Posts: 1,647 Senior Member
    DD was given a choice on the first day or two of the class to claim it or not. You should check with your high school and college, however, because different schools may have different policies and procedures.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,318 Senior Member
    You will be obligated to send the official transcript from the college or university that offers the dual credit course. What the place that admits you decides to do with that credit will be entirely up to them. If you don't like their decision, you will need to discuss it with them.

Your dual credt transcript will follow you for the rest of your life. You will need to provide official copies every time you apply for transfer, a grad program, or a job the requires all college-level transcripts. So be sure to work hard and do your best to get a good grade.

Can you take this class only for high school credit? Ask your guidance counselor about that. Then you wouldn't generate a college-level record, and you would almost certainly be obligated to take the equivalent class again once you get to college.