Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Youth Symphony Tour vs. National FBLA Conference

yammie8335yammie8335 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
I have to choose between a quite prestigious youth symphony's Chile and Argentina tour and a National FBLA conference competition which gives national-level awards. Assuming that I get an award at the FBLA conference, which one would be better for college admissions? (not applying for music major, but business major)

Replies to: Youth Symphony Tour vs. National FBLA Conference

• boudersbouders Registered User Posts: 2,539 Senior Member
    If you're applying for business, then the award from FBLA would be best. If you don't win an award, then the Chile and Argentina tour would be best.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,966 Senior Member
    We can't answert that. You seem to be treating both like a special tip (eg, the prestige of the tour or IF you win an award.) We don't know the college targets or what else you have, that makes you the right candidate, in the first place. This is not all about something glossy on your resume.
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 5,216 Senior Member
    I would choose based on which interested me more, not how they might look to a college adcom. For me, that would be the orchestra tour.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,714 Forum Champion
    I think you would regret missing out on the orchestra tour.
    You will spend time with your orchestra friends.
    You will get to play music.
    You will get to go to new countries you wouldn't otherwise go.

It is okay if you pick based on what you will get out of it regardless of college.

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,966 Senior Member
    Depends on what the tour is, how you got there. There are pay programs, some are not with local orch peers, some are not invitational. And yes, some are nice trips with some music playing in between touring.

FBLA is not a big tip, either.