right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

What Activities Would Really Help Me In My Pursuit of Top Schools?

1235»

Replies to: What Activities Would Really Help Me In My Pursuit of Top Schools?

• FakeName1332FakeName1332 201 replies31 threads Junior Member
    @lookingforward

I didn't change anything, I elaborated on the implication because it was taken out of it's context.

"But I've een consistently suggesting activation"

Yes, but I was directly quoting your implication that I am saying a bunch of conflicting points. Yes, you've been consistently giving me advice-- I appreciate that. But all I was speaking to in my reply was your comment on my inconsistency.

"Well rounded, in the right ways, tops unilateral, even with some big win"

It becomes a much different conversation when we are adding caveats like "in the right ways," because it changes the applicant entirely. To be fair, I did the same thing by changing the example. I'm just pointing out how poor a comparison will turn out if the two subjects are being modified throughout the conversation. Regardless, I think I understand admissions pretty well from your previous comments.

Just one last comment on the matter:

"What else I say is you do not need to be a national or intl winner in competitions. Of course, those kids get into great colleges"

I know that you don't need anything like that to get into top schools, but I do think that it really helps. This seems to be supported by your comment, so I am not too sure what you disagree on. I agree with you that it isn't just the one thing, but also the rest of the application, how it works into the school's community, principles, and academics, and more.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35380 replies399 threads Senior Member
    You think it really helps, but you're still acquiring info and not yet able to make these statements. It doesn't help if the rest of the picture the college wants to see is not there. You think we may agree, but I said it's not necessary, that well rounded can top and you said, "a lot of the students who reach really high heights will get in over a student who's really well rounded."

There is no point in our arguing what's said or not. The task is for you to figure what these colleges want, from what they say and show and then figure just how you will give this to them. If you're driven for an elite, you will do this, whatever it takes, however you do it. You aren't there yet and the clock is ticking.

Sometimes, CC tells a kid to basically get off these boards and swing into action.

Your decisions, your choice.

Yes, it is a lot harder to get in as an intl home schooler (or independent schooler.) And with few activities, so far, none that are collaborative or taking place in an established environment. Yes, the competition from Canada will be tough and the colleges go for geographic diversity- meaning, only so many kids total from Canada. Not just that, but if they have a surplus of Canadians now, they may look to fill seats from other countries, UK or other.
    · Reply · Share
  • FakeName1332FakeName1332 201 replies31 threads Junior Member
    "There is no point in our arguing what's said or not. The task is for you to figure what these colleges want, from what they say and show and then figure just how you will give this to them. If you're driven for an elite, you will do this, whatever it takes, however you do it. You aren't there yet and the clock is ticking."

That's really helpful for me, thank you.

"Sometimes, CC tells a kid to basically get off these boards and swing into action.

Your decisions, your choice."

I guess I just don't really know what I could do. I know that you suggested to go into the city for internships and whatnot, but I can't do that right now. I'm not sure what activity I can do while at my lake that will help me in college admissions. Everything I seemed to note was either written off or said to be a bad EC.

I appreciate your comment and you help. You've helped me immensely over the past week and I am really thankful for that. If you would like to stop the conversation here, I'd be more than fine with the knowledge you have given me. However, if you want to take this further, I would appreciate it if you (or anyone else, for that matter) would tell me some things I can do at my lake to help my app. They don't have to be good/great compared to other t20 applicants-- I just need something to do here.

· Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity