Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What Activities Would Really Help Me In My Pursuit of Top Schools?

12346»

Replies to: What Activities Would Really Help Me In My Pursuit of Top Schools?

• FakeName1332FakeName1332 Registered User Posts: 169 Junior Member
    Sorry, I didn't mean to 'tease out' anyone. I thought it would benefit us both by challenging what you said. Leaving it at what is given and nothing else in the city or at the lake. How do I look?

Something that I want to re-add to the conversation is my online school story (in #1 I think).

So with this considered, what am I looking at here? e.g. Dream- Northeastern, Reach- U Washington, Target- Chapman, Safety- Canadian school?

I would like some frame of reference here, is all :)

Also, "OP is near enough to a city to look or opps there." Geographically speaking, yes. Otherwise, it's not that easy-- it's actually almost impossible.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 32,375 Senior Member
    "I do have a house in the city! I'll have to be there for a while for SAT tests anyway, so maybe there's a good opportunity."

At this point, we don't have a good idea of what's what.
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk Registered User Posts: 2,213 Senior Member
    edited May 24
    "When a stem wannabe is on the math team, why would adcoms see that as padding? It's a relevant activity for someone interest in pursuing math-science."

You denigrate these kinds of accomplishments all the time - olympiad medalists, science fair winners, they do well wrt college applications, they don't get in everywhere but HYPS, Cal Tech, is not uncommon.
    @lookingforward I think I've been pretty clear here. You are picking out little bits of information without context and comparing them. What becomes lost is the situation in which 'it's actually almost impossible' or 'maybe there's a good opportunity.'

To clarify here, sustained activity is where I want to focus. "I'll have to be there for a while for SAT II tests anyway, so maybe there's a good opportunity," so we know that I'll be there for SAT II tests. So maybe a week, give or take a few days. This is a really important, scheduled, fixed, once-a-year time; compared to an inconsistent, multiple-times-a-week schedule.

When you talked about "'OP is near enough to a city to look or opps there.' Geographically speaking, yes. Otherwise, it's not that easy-- it's actually almost impossible," I was referring to sustained activity in the city during the summer. I inferred that you meant I was close enough to the city that I would be able to go there at almost any given time and do opps there. That would be near 'impossible' for me because traveling and scheduling that would be extremely difficult to work out on a consistent basis.

Additionally, the time becomes messed up when you look at quotes without context. Specifically, you were talking to me about going to an internship in the fall; in this thread (and the other quote), I'm looking at something for this summer.

I appreciate your help but I would prefer we don't start quoting without context and thinking they directly apply to each other when, in reality, they are very different.

@theloniusmonk
    To clarify, he was quoting my bad example, which was of the math team. What I really meant was an incredible accomplishment like the ones you mentioned. It was my fault for using a bad example. I would agree with you, though. From my understanding, a lot of the students who reach really high heights will get in over a student who's really well rounded. There are tens of thousands of applicants who are well-rounded but very few who reached high heights.
    Theloniusmonk, I was supporting the math team mentioned. It's not padding.

What else I say is you do not need to be a national or intl winner in competitions. Of course those kids get into great colleges, but for holistic, based on their whole apps, not a contest win. There's more conveyed in an app.

FakeName: context? You said one thing thing changed it. True, Ididn't knowhow long you'd be in the city. But I've een consistently suggesting activation.

Well rounded, in the right ways, tops unilateral, even with some big win. You don't know that there are "tens of thousands of applicants who are well-rounded." This is not hierarchical. It's holistic.
    @lookingforward

I didn't change anything, I elaborated on the implication because it was taken out of it's context.

"But I've een consistently suggesting activation"

Yes, but I was directly quoting your implication that I am saying a bunch of conflicting points. Yes, you've been consistently giving me advice-- I appreciate that. But all I was speaking to in my reply was your comment on my inconsistency.

"Well rounded, in the right ways, tops unilateral, even with some big win"

It becomes a much different conversation when we are adding caveats like "in the right ways," because it changes the applicant entirely. To be fair, I did the same thing by changing the example. I'm just pointing out how poor a comparison will turn out if the two subjects are being modified throughout the conversation. Regardless, I think I understand admissions pretty well from your previous comments.

Just one last comment on the matter:

"What else I say is you do not need to be a national or intl winner in competitions. Of course, those kids get into great colleges"

I know that you don't need anything like that to get into top schools, but I do think that it really helps. This seems to be supported by your comment, so I am not too sure what you disagree on. I agree with you that it isn't just the one thing, but also the rest of the application, how it works into the school's community, principles, and academics, and more.
    You think it really helps, but you're still acquiring info and not yet able to make these statements. It doesn't help if the rest of the picture the college wants to see is not there. You think we may agree, but I said it's not necessary, that well rounded can top and you said, "a lot of the students who reach really high heights will get in over a student who's really well rounded."

There is no point in our arguing what's said or not. The task is for you to figure what these colleges want, from what they say and show and then figure just how you will give this to them. If you're driven for an elite, you will do this, whatever it takes, however you do it. You aren't there yet and the clock is ticking.

Sometimes, CC tells a kid to basically get off these boards and swing into action.

Your decisions, your choice.

Yes, it is a lot harder to get in as an intl home schooler (or independent schooler.) And with few activities, so far, none that are collaborative or taking place in an established environment. Yes, the competition from Canada will be tough and the colleges go for geographic diversity- meaning, only so many kids total from Canada. Not just that, but if they have a surplus of Canadians now, they may look to fill seats from other countries, UK or other.
    "There is no point in our arguing what's said or not. The task is for you to figure what these colleges want, from what they say and show and then figure just how you will give this to them. If you're driven for an elite, you will do this, whatever it takes, however you do it. You aren't there yet and the clock is ticking."

That's really helpful for me, thank you.

"Sometimes, CC tells a kid to basically get off these boards and swing into action.

Your decisions, your choice."

I guess I just don't really know what I could do. I know that you suggested to go into the city for internships and whatnot, but I can't do that right now. I'm not sure what activity I can do while at my lake that will help me in college admissions. Everything I seemed to note was either written off or said to be a bad EC.

I appreciate your comment and you help. You've helped me immensely over the past week and I am really thankful for that. If you would like to stop the conversation here, I'd be more than fine with the knowledge you have given me. However, if you want to take this further, I would appreciate it if you (or anyone else, for that matter) would tell me some things I can do at my lake to help my app. They don't have to be good/great compared to other t20 applicants-- I just need something to do here.