right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

HELP! DD just charged with academic misconduct

Replies to: HELP! DD just charged with academic misconduct

• roycroftmomroycroftmom 2942 replies38 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Selective colleges take academic integrity very seriously, including public ones, and are less forgiving of infractions. Based on the facts presented,I think it is highly likely she would be facing expulsion or at the very least 1 year suspension in top colleges, so I do understand the high school's goal to drive home the severity of this issue to its students who are just a little over one year away from enrolling in those colleges. But once the point is made, they will attempt to mitigate the damage. Small schools gossip about everything and that can't be fixed, but if OP and her daughter remain silent and calm nothing can be confirmed and it will blow over.

Yes,students have fewer rights in private schools, but the parents and students agreed to that as a condition of enrollment.
    · Reply · Share
  • EyeVeeeEyeVeee 673 replies7 threadsRegistered User Member
    edited June 13
    After following this thread for a few days, things have stopped adding up. There is no "help" left to give based on the available details, and those details that are being drip-fed into the conversation make me question the broader conversation.

The OP should first and foremost care for her(?) child(ren). Full stop. College admissions can and should wait.

What I'm struggling with is the portrayal of the school and the administration/teachers. The OP descriptions of the school border on the impossible at times, and the latest suggestion that the faculty is gossiping about this situation....at a school willing to destroy a young person for an error....feels (to me) convenient and unlikely. The themes of this thread walk the line between looking for help and searching for angles.
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7976 replies82 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 13
    Interesting observation / thought. @EyeVeee.
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
    Actually, it is all quite credible in my world. Exclusive private schools operate very different than public schools, which some parents do not realize. No one is "destroying a young person for an error". She will be admitted to a fine college after this lesson has passed. That is how they operate at some schools. I'm reasonably certain my kid's school would have done the same. And while one of mine found it overly rigorous and stressful, the other did not at all. And they wanted to stay together. As a prior poster noted, kids are resilient.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34107 replies377 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I agree that aspects if this raise their own questions. From the beginning. i assumed OP just didn't have the right words to describe this, being new to it, etc.

I agree teachers talk. One mentions a case and maybe not which student. It becomes whisper down the lane. How it got to other students baffles me.

I think, by now, OP should have some reassurance, from some of us, that you deal with this as best you can, not assume college chances are shot. Find matches and safeties, as good procedure. CYA.

All while reassuring the child.
    · Reply · Share
  • RandyErikaRandyErika 475 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    OP’s original post was very clear with regard to her purpose. She was looking for some perspective on how the “infraction” would be viewed by college admissions and if there were colleges which might allow her daughter to avoid bringing in any awareness of the matter. The craziness of the thread is the result of cursory discussions that warranted further details and poster opinions on a dozen separate, semi-related topics.

I do find it interesting that some people suggest the purpose of what one might consider a harsh punishment is to teach the student a lesson. Undoubtedly this student will learn a number of lessons, some of them presumably unintended. It just seems that the one related to proper resource documentation could be handled differently.
    · Reply · Share
    @Randyerika, I dont think anyone thinks the issue is one of teaching proper resource documentation. And that is ok, kids slip up sometimes. But in view of the circumstances, I don't believe she didn't understand or had not been already taught that her paper was impermissible as submitted. Deterring improper conduct is a valid goal for the school.
    · Reply · Share
    @roycroftmom I understand your point - I just don’t agree. Out of all the things a kid can do wrong that “might” change the course of their lives, this is so far down on the list that it’s laughable - or would be if this weren’t affecting real people, with real dreams and aspirations. Yes, it’s a teachable moment - I just hope it’s not life altering. In my opinion it didn’t need to come to this.
    · Reply · Share
    What would you suggest is an effective penalty for plagiarism? A mere grade reduction for it is incredibly unfair to those students who did honest but mediocre work and earned low grades on the merits. Having her just rewrite the paper now for a grade, when others probably had to stay up all night to get their papers in on time, isnt much of a deterrent-thats just an extension of the due date. While I agree the idea of perhaps some type of assignment helping others avoid a similar issue is laudable, I can understand avoiding the publicity and shame associated with that. Failing the course would actually be a much worse outcome for this student and have more adverse results. Here, the school noted it, but put it in perspective. Not sure what else it really could do.
    · Reply · Share
    Out of curiosity, @intparent , what has the school done that is in your opinion disgraceful? Most of this thread was based on the parent's misunderstanding of the event, it's context and extent.Once that was clearly set forth by the school ( and not by the student, who understandably minimized the event), it seems the school set forth its determination of consequences quickly and conveyed it to the parent promptly.

The leaking of the event is unfortunate, but hopefully the student wasnt identified. Good luck trying to mandate a stop to gossip, particularly off-campus. That is the only part of the school's response that was, though unintentional perhaps, very disappointing. The rest of the response was merely carrying out the procedures in the student conduct handbook which were agreed to by all parties.
    · Reply · Share
    I really don’t know what the ideal penalty would be. Given that it was a first time, unintended offense, maybe a reduced letter grade on the assignment, or perhaps a failing grade on the assignment - though I personally think that is unnecessarily harsh. A failing grade in the course is much more severe than needed, and a permanent mark on her transcript is completely unnecessary.

I actually don’t mind the requirement to rewrite the paper on another topic, perhaps with a maximum grade of B. What better way to reinforce the point that plagiarism isn’t a joke? I do think that offering to lead some sort of plagiarism awareness effort is a silly idea. You can vehemently disagree with me again, but I won’t be engaged in further debate.

For what it’s worth, my wife and I moved away from DC in part to get away from the competitive environment that seemed prevalent and toxic. Grooming kids from birth for Ivy degrees isn’t without cost - and it doesn’t represent the values I chose to instill in my children.
    · Reply · Share
    I guess where we disagree is that you still see this as unintentional. Given the extent of the event, that seems highly unlikely to me. And I agree with you that a laser focus on Ivy schools is silly and unnecessary, which is why I don't think even the most adverse result- she goes to a college ranked number 17 not number 7-is not life altering, though many on CC think it is.

Believe it or not, kids at these types of schools actually have to work hard for a B grade, so offering it as a result of academic dishonesty is pretty offensive to the students there.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21113 replies219 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    " permanent mark on her transcript is completely"

OP already indicated it is not on her transcript.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2236 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 13
    I thought the academic misconduct would be on the transcript per the original post, but not the suspension?
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34107 replies377 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Not the transcript.

It will be in her academic record. The transcript records classes and grades, credits, etc.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity