right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

HELP! DD just charged with academic misconduct

Replies to: HELP! DD just charged with academic misconduct

• RandyErikaRandyErika 475 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    @roycroftmom I don’t see any reason for her college admissions to be impacted by this incident - that’s where we disagree. You seem to think that if she needs to drop 10 or 20 spots on some silly list, then that’s okay. I’m saying she should be able to go for any school she wants (hopefully for the right reasons), just like her sister, because she might deserve it, and not in spite of this incident.

And I didn’t mean to imply she would be given a B for her rework. I meant that the best grade she could get is a B, essentially dropping her one letter grade as a penalty.

@doschicos If that ended up being stated clearly, then I acknowledge my misunderstanding. The information that emerged from the OP was released over many posts and pages, and I was confused by some of it.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2236 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 13
    Agree with @randyerika If the OP said this was no longer the case, I missed it..... From the original post:
    11th grade DD was just charged with academic misconduct which will be on her transcript.
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21113 replies219 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 13
    Perhaps OP can clarify. A lot change from the first post. :) She did say the suspension wasn't going on the transcript. The suspension = the academic misconduct discipline.
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
    "And I didn’t mean to imply she would be given a B for her rework. I meant that the best grade she could get is a B, essentially dropping her one letter grade as a penalty."

If that is your penalty for plagairism, @RandyErika, what would your penalty be for turning the assignment in late?
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34107 replies377 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I don't see having her found or run something related to plagiarism or avoiding it. Nothing tells us she's comfortable with that yet or will be this fall. And I doubt it's going to impress adcoms. It would be a sort of rookie effort and this girl doesnt need the stress. Plus, how would she avoid it being perfectly obvious that she's the one who erred?

I'm not convinced she needs this or that it's a Hail Mary of real meaning. In contrast, volunteering helping struggling kids elsewhere with research and writing might be better than pretending to be an expert for kids in private school. It's also a great jumping off point. Imagine being able to write that positive riff on this vol activity.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34107 replies377 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 13
    I asked OP, much earlier, to clarify if her school said "transcript." Versus "academic record." She may have misunderstood the diff, just as some posters here.

Infractions don't usually go on the T. I cant remember every seeing them there. This is a Common App question.
    edited June 13
    · Reply · Share
    @doschicos If I didn’t know better, I’d swear you were trying to trick me. :wink: I’m not a teacher, and my teacher spouse is sleeping soundly at the moment. But I can imagine that turning a paper in late could warrant the same penalty as a first occurrence of a lesser form of plagiarism (people can disagree, but all plagiarisms are not created equal).

I do believe that education should be about learning, and motivating students to develop a thirst for learning - not about grades. So I’m probably not the right person to ask about consequences that have little to do with developing a passion for it. Requiring a rewrite on a new topic could be viewed as consequences beyond simply lowering a grade by a letter - maybe even create a spark that doesn’t yet exist.
    · Reply · Share
  • sattutsattut 980 replies78 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I haven't read all 25 pages of this, but if what OP is saying is true, the school is totally out of line.It is totally inappropriate to treat this as cheating. You are paying a lot of money, and I would make a fuss about this.

30 page papers are probably standard for some private schools. However, I went to a T30 university and never wrote one.
    · Reply · Share
    @sattut A lot has developed in the 25 pages so it might be helpful to read it to determine how out of line the school is.. or not. :) And does money really factor in to what the school's response should be?
    · Reply · Share
  • karen0karen0 142 replies24 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    What is challenging is DD's school believes colleges take EA applications more seriously coming from their students because they know they only apply to one. So basically most of the class of 110 students applies to an Ivy and UVA or U Michigan. My DD will now never have at shot at UVA and UMich as understandably those schools will take her classmates with a 36 and strait As from over my DD. So my DD will only be allowed to apply to two schools this fall, but then more after the ED EA rounds are over. I totally disagree but nothing I can do. 100% of the class applies ED, usually 60 to 70% are admitted early.
    · Reply · Share
    @karen0 Maybe I’m being dense, but why won’t your DD have a shot at UVA or U of M? Those are large schools with plenty of spots to offer.
    · Reply · Share
    Does the school limit applying EA to just one school per student?

" My DD will now never have at shot at UVA and UMich as understandably those schools will take her classmates with a 36 and strait As from over my DD"

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. Does your daughter have the 36 ACT and straight As as well? Both UVA and UMich claim applying EA gives no advantage over RD.

"So my DD will only be allowed to apply to two schools this fall, but then more after the ED EA rounds are over."

By this are you implying one EA school and one ED school?
    · Reply · Share
  • yucca10yucca10 1258 replies37 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    As one who has closely followed the threads about UMich admissions results here, I wouldn't be so sure. They do practice yield protection so a lot of great stats students are deferred EA.
    · Reply · Share
  • karen0karen0 142 replies24 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    @doschicos Each student is allowed to apply to only one EA and obviously only one ED. 100% of the class applies early.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3033collegemom3033 6 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    UT is rolling admission with deadline on Dec 1 (priority on Nov 1). Does that count as EA too?
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78229 replies690 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited June 14
    karen0 wrote:
    Each student is allowed to apply to only one EA and obviously only one ED. 100% of the class applies early.

Why does the high school have this restriction?

Does the restriction apply to early applications to rolling admission colleges?
    karen0 wrote:
    So basically most of the class of 110 students applies to an Ivy and UVA or U Michigan. My DD will now never have at shot at UVA and UMich as understandably those schools will take her classmates with a 36 and strait As from over my DD.

There are thousands of other colleges beyond the Ivy League ones, UVA, and Michigan. Surely some of them will be suitable, but not as competitive to gain admission to. If you live in a state with a not-super-competitive flagship, your state flagship could be suitable. If your state flagship is super-competitive, perhaps a somewhat less competitive in-state public university could be suitable. Of course, there are some state flagship universities which have published automatic admission and/or scholarship criteria that can make them safeties for many students (e.g. University of Arizona).
    edited June 14
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 14
    Karen0, thx.
    So folks, not on the transcript.

You have 4+ months to finalize those early choices.

The CA asks the discipline question. Then requests a brief explanation. Again, you can look at a copy of the CA, but I think it's 400 words.

As it's on the CA, you only need one explanation, as far as I know.

If a college chooses not to read this section, they can just not download it.
    edited June 14
    · Reply · Share
  • CardinalBobcatCardinalBobcat 157 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Echoing @ucbalumnus... why in the world are the students limited to only one EA?
    · Reply · Share
  • sattutsattut 980 replies78 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    OK, I read through the 25 pages sort of. I still think the school is being ridiculous. Cheating is cheating. There is so much real cheating that goes on. A citation error is not cheating. I know some BSs consider hiring a tutor cheating, I didn't go to prep school, so probably don't understand, but some of this is pretty sick.

I would recommend daughter not take it so seriously. She is getting an education only a tiny protection of 1% get and will get into a good college. Some of this is over the top, and my advice to student and parents is not to take it so seriously.

I would go to the headmaster or whatever and threaten to sue of whatever. What they are doing is totally wrong, so I would make a fuss, even if it doesn't change anything.

I had my own experiences at a top university, which was incredibly competitive, intense and sort of cutthroat. They pulled stuff on me, like putting me in a major which didn't exist, and had only graduate courses, so I sort of understand.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity