right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

HELP! DD just charged with academic misconduct

karen0karen0 142 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
11th grade DD was just charged with academic misconduct which will be on her transcript. She made a citing mistake on a 30 page research paper at a very tough private day school, the charge is unintended plagiarism. It is her first offense, her college councilor and principle will write a letter detailing that this incident was isolated and specific to a very tough assignment. DD is besides herself, sobbing. She is high achieving, high scores and grades. Her original college list is UPenn, Vandy, Emory, Tulane, UVA, College of William and Mary and UT Austin. How do you think a charge of unintended plagiarism will change how her application is viewed, she will write a statement of course. She is devastated and has been sobbing for hours? Are there schools that don't consider academic disciplinary charges?
507 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: HELP! DD just charged with academic misconduct

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76129 replies663 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 76,792 Senior Member
    karen0 wrote:
    Are there schools that don't consider academic disciplinary charges?

Probably some stats-only moderately selective universities or open admission community colleges.
    · Reply · Share
  • NASA2014NASA2014 2292 replies126 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,418 Senior Member
    "She made a citing mistake on a 30 page research paper " Why is she writing a research paper in 11th grade, to begin with?
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 1834 replies23 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,857 Senior Member
    ^^My kids' high school (large, public) has a 20 page junior research paper requirement for all English classes, all levels.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36273 replies644 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 36,917 Senior Member
    Agree, my kids wrote research papers like that at they age. Bottom line, she should probably add more match and safety schools to her list, a broader range than she might have previously considered.

I’m going to say, I’d guess the rules for citing were very clearly laid out and she didn’t follow them if they called her out for plagerism. Was it actually “a” citing mistake? And I don’t see how “tough assignment” plays into it - I assume her classmates did not make the same mistake.
    · Reply · Share
  • karen0karen0 142 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 166 Junior Member
    @intparent DD says there were lessons on citing but she still mistakenly cited a secondary source as a primary. It was a sloppy mistake with big implications. You are correct the tough assignment part should not be a factor. I think lack of maturity played a role in planning and she was operating on 3 hours of sleep a night for two weeks. Intent is not in question. I don't know if others made the same mistake, she chose a very ambitious topic which she emerged herself in. Her school is giving her the opportunity to rewrite the 30 pages over the summer so there will not be academic implications. I'm not trying to absolve her wrongdoing, it's just a very unfortunate outcome.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32224 replies336 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,560 Senior Member
    edited June 7
    obvious x-post.

"the charge is unintended plagiarism." Not "wilful."
    "college councilor and principle will write a letter detailing that this incident was isolated and specific to a very tough assignment." Doesn't this sound like they're backing her up? Are they assigning some discipline?

I agree we'd need to know what the error was. Some kids just forget a citation, some do it wrong. Even with instructions, this is a junior, a large project, it "could" be a simple mistake.

Sounds like the school has a firm policy that someting needs to be charged and then reported on the Common App. Keyword: isolated. If the GC writes a glowing letter, I suspect the colleges will put this in the right perspective. (I know they do, with many forms of trouble.) They take plagiarism seriously, but it sounds like the high school does think it's just a mistake.

What about the teacher?

Thing is, now she's crushed. Do make sure to expand her list, but help her find her balance right now. A lot of those colleges are reaches and she needs to understand her chances were never guaranteed and not second guess herself. It will help if she knows enough about them, to make a bang up application.
    edited June 7
    · Reply · Share
  • 3SailAway3SailAway 399 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 404 Member
    Wow. Citing a secondary source as primary does not sound like “Academic misconduct” or plagiarism to me. Recently, my D21 cited a source which was actually quoting another source. I told her she needed to find the original source and cite that, but her teacher was fine either way.

My heart goes out to your D, and I agree with @doschicos that she should talk to her counselor about any impact. May she feel better in the morning!
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 32224 replies336 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 32,560 Senior Member
    It can include mis-using citations.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity