right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Major issues (pun not intended)

ClareKangClareKang 1 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
I'm a senior wanting to apply to colleges for a mechanical engineering degree. My gpa/standardized test scores are good. My ecs are pretty good too. However, my ecs are quizbowl, political internships, federal research paper, Congresswoman advisory board, library volunteer, band....things like that. I do have stem interactions, and take engineering classes and have some stem awards, but I'm worried that my lack of stem ecs will look bad to colleges. Is this true? If it is, what should I do about my major?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Major issues (pun not intended)

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76482 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,147 Senior Member
    Engineering students can have social studies type and other ECs.

How selective are the colleges you want to apply to? Less selective colleges may admit only or mainly based on courses, grades/rank, and test scores. But the most selective colleges will magnify the importance of ECs and other things to compare numerous applicants with top end grades and test scores.
    · Reply · Share
  • ClareKangClareKang 1 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I am planning on UCs, Goergia Tech, U of Michigan, Purdue, U of Texas as main, and U of Illinois, U of Washington, and Cal Poly as safeties.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76482 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,147 Senior Member
    edited June 26
    It is unlikely that your "safeties" will be actual safeties for mechanical engineering, even if you have high stats (which you have not posted).

What state are you a resident of, and what are your cost constraints? Do not expect good (or any) financial aid at out-of-state public schools.
    edited June 26
    · Reply · Share