right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ski_racer, a high-achiever in high school, was rejected by some of the elite schools she applied to. This rejection was the best thing that happened to her as she got to choose her own path. Learn how she fell in love with her safety school, ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

When to take SAT

helpmetocollegehelpmetocollege 27 replies7 threads Junior Member
I've heard some SAT dates have consistent higher curves than other testing dates. Like I have heard that the June SAT is one of the worst curves. I was planning to take the SAT this November or December. Is there a better date between the two dates? Is one curve higher than the other test's curve?
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: When to take SAT

• RichInPittRichInPitt 2450 replies40 threads Senior Member
    edited July 2019
    Please ignore discussion of "curves" in terms of selecting a test date. (Actually, ignore it completely).

If you have the ability to score a 700, then you will score a 700. One test may be harder than normal, and you get 8 questions wrong, and that equates to a 700. Another test may be easier, and you may only get 4 questions wrong, and that equates to a 700. Scores are based on a statistical distribution and your comparison to others taking the same test. It's not based on an absolute fixed scale of the number of problems correct/wrong.

Folks who complain about this seem to have a concept that they will get the same number of questions wrong, regardless of how hard the test is, so their score varies with the "curve". This makes no sense.
    edited July 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • 12Vvnji12Vvnji 15 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I don't know anything about the curves and whether or not they're different but I took one in November and it was fairly easy. Don't take the one in October because I heard those ones are usually harder.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity