right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Did You Have a High GPA & SAT, Go to a Less Selective School, and Like It?

YpslanimiYpslanimi 6 replies2 postsRegistered User New Member
I'm considering going back to school. (No urgency. It's for fun, though I may want to go to grad school later.) There is a small school nearby that would be very convenient, and I like the program, but my stats (especially SAT) would be pretty far outside the norm (300 points.) Does this matter? Has anyone done this and enjoyed their experience? Not enjoyed it? Might this not matter at all considering that I'd be a non-trad student?
3 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Did You Have a High GPA & SAT, Go to a Less Selective School, and Like It?

• happymomof1happymomof1 29476 replies170 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    My guess is that it wouldn't matter at all given that you like the specific program. Utlimately, that is the important thing.

Go meet with the professors and see what you and they think about this. Do they think you are a good match? Do you think they are a good match for you? Ask about grad school placement for your particular field and see what they say about that as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77098 replies671 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    Go meet with the professors and see what you and they think about this. Do they think you are a good match? Do you think they are a good match for you? Ask about grad school placement for your particular field and see what they say about that as well.

Some types of programs' graduates do not typically go to graduate school. But these are usually more pre-professional programs where employment is the intended destination, so checking on post-graduation employment in field (and/or pass rates on licensing exams if applicable) would be indicated for such programs. Also, if it is a program where some type of external accreditation is expected (e.g. most types of engineering (ABET-EAC), engineering technology (ABET-TAC), business (AACSB), nursing (ACEN, CCNE), chemistry (ACS)), then check that the program has it.
    · Reply · Share
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad 380 replies1 postsRegistered User Member
    edited August 13
    I wouldn't focus on the scores so much as the comfort level of the school accommodating non-trad students. How far out of "traditional" are you? If you aren't going to be hanging out in the dorms or forming lifelong friendships it won't matter as much as if you were 22 and starting over. As it is your biggest problem might be you as the only thirty-plus in every room, and everyone thinks you're, like, totally old or whatever, and like my parents are spying on me.

If you think the program is a good fit then the level of discourse and course rigor should derive from that at least as much as test scores. (And, depending on the number of years involved here, I'm not saying you could find yourself a bit rusty, but you could find yourself different from the person who knocked the cover off all those tests back in the day...)
    edited August 13
    · Reply · Share