right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Why Non-restrictive Early Action

cadiboycadiboy 1 replies9 threadsRegistered User New Member
edited August 16 in College Admissions
I am little confused with Non-restrictive Early action(NREA) choice.
Cases where a student is accepted under NREA by college and is given a time to respond back to college by May 1st(most colleges); why do colleges offer NREA choice when that is already a period of Regular decision ? How colleges is benefited by offering 'Non-restrictive Early action' of such a wide time span for student to respond back ?
edited August 16
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Why Non-restrictive Early Action

• cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29435 replies58 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 16
    They do so because a lot of kids are done after they do their early apps. If you get into BC EA, for instance, a very popular venue in my area (yes, I know this option is now over) , the relief of getting a wonderful accept really puts it up there in consideration. Many kids will then just apply to more selective schools, the HPY et al and not get accepted RD, and it’s BC all the way.

My son applied to about 7 early schools, and pretty much decided he would go to Choice # 2 if his ED choice did not pan out. He got s nice scholarship from them and an opportunity to apply for a full ride, and he really liked the school.

Also, offering EA puts some schools on the map. It’s nice to have a strong safety EA paired with an ED school. A lot of kids end up at their safety schools. Sometimes those schools are picked because they have EA and investing time with visits and research on the school bonds the student. Especially when other choices might be Local U or a CC. I only hope these kids research their safety schools more.

Sacred Heart has become an interesting ES choice around here. Trying to get into a Computer Science program is difficult these days. SHU offers one. They give merit. They have EA. They start looking pretty good after turn downs at more selective schools. Their stats on jobs etc are not bad especially the CS and pre proff programs. Distance from NY suburbs not bad st all. Facilities work. Get a discounted price and it could be your best deal.

With all the schools out there , getting on the students’ lists, getting an application is an essential first step to getting students. EA nets a good catch
    edited August 16
    · Reply · Share
  • NCKrisNCKris 234 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Applying EA shows demonstrated interest, and most of the admitted students typically end up going there. Also, many schools have earlier deadline for merit consideration.
    Although most Selective colleges, MIT, Caltech, Chicago, Georgetown claim there is no preference for EA.
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12889 replies244 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It also spreads out the workload for admissions staff. But I suspect that early admit probably increases yield for schools not able to restrict EA.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1NJParent1NJParent 1383 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    An EA applicant to MIT or Caltech clearly indicates a preference over Harvard, Stanford or Princeton. And that preference isn't unnoticed by the admission offices at these two schools.
    · Reply · Share