right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

I’m lost and need a guidance counselor

NOTanonymousNOTanonymous 10 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
I just graduated from high school and I am entering a gap year during which I will be involved in religious studies and charities abroad. I applied to some colleges last year, and was admitted to one that I don’t really like, after using the guidance counselor at my school. Now that I’m leaving my school, my guidance counselor said she could help me but only in a very limited capacity as she has current students as her top priority. I feel really lost and I am looking for a guidance counselor to help me out, but every counselor I look up either has no more room for new clients or doesn’t have any reviews online.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a good counselor?

Also, are the big firms like Ivywise or Ivy Coach any good?

Thanks in advance
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I’m lost and need a guidance counselor

• austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8843 replies325 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Why are you so focused on the Ivies? There are plenty of great schools available for students with a 3.8 GPA, 36 ACT, and ~720 SAT 2 scores. You had some great advice last fall and I think it might help you to read some of the comments again. You need matches and real safeties. Applying to 5 Ivies, UChicago, and a backup school you didn't really like wasn't a good plan and it sounds like you're headed that way again. Paying for an Ivy focused college counseling service is only worth it if your family can afford it and your parents don't mind spending the money even if your 2nd application is rejected.

I don't think doing charity work abroad is going to get you into an Ivy. If you go, do it for whatever you can contribute to the groups you're trying to help.
    · Reply · Share
  • gardenstategalgardenstategal 5616 replies10 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Do you have the money for one of these private counselors?
    · Reply · Share
  • NOTanonymousNOTanonymous 10 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Austinmshauri I was planning on taking the gap year since the end of 11th grade, I didn’t decide to do it because I wasn’t accepted to a school I like. I’m not doing it with any intention of it helping me get in.

Also, the first time I applied, I did it in a very disorganized way and I’m sure I have areas that I can improve on with proper guidance and direction. I also landed a prestigious internship that I just completed, which should add to my application.

I’m not set on the ivies, either. I’m not reapplying to most of the schools that I applied to, only UPenn. I decided to reapply to Penn after visiting my friend on campus and I absolutely fell in love with it.

Also, you literally scared the crap out of me when you started quoting my stats back to me until I realized you could check my old posts 😂😂😂
    · Reply · Share
  • NOTanonymousNOTanonymous 10 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Gardenstategal I spoke to my parents about and they are willing to pay for a good counselor. I doubt they would be willing to pay an insane amount of money though
    · Reply · Share