right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Semester School/Self Studying Advice

destinedforNDdestinedforND 51 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
I'm a student currently studying at a semester school out of my state for the first semester of my junior year. I found out last week that my family will be moving while I am here and I will be attending a new high school when I return for the spring semester. I am taking 3 AP courses right now that I plan on continuing when I return to my new high school, as well as a language and a science. I would like some advice on my course options; I want to self study the first semester of AP Physics 1 and AP Comp Science A and then continue those when I return. Is this doable/smart? The homework load at my semester school is heavy, but I plan on studying engineering in college so these two additional AP courses would be helpful.

Thanks!
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Semester School/Self Studying Advice

• destinedforNDdestinedforND 51 replies11 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Bump. Please advise! Thank you
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29664 replies175 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Probably not doable or smart as you report that your current homeowrk load is heavy.

Focus on doing well in your current courses, and on adjusting to the new school second semester. Those other AP classes can wait until your senior year of high achool.
    · Reply · Share
    edited September 17
    @happymomof1

Do you have suggestions as far as SAT Subject tests then? I'm planning on taking the Math 2 subject test in May; I need one more science subject test for my applications to MIT an CalTech. I was thinking physics this May so that I can study AP Physics at the same time I am studying for the subject test. I took biology freshman year and chemistry sophomore year. Would my best bet be to take one of those of have the new subject material fresh in my mind for the test in May?
    edited September 17
    · Reply · Share
  • happymomof1happymomof1 29664 replies175 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The best time to take a subject test is shortly after completing the class. The content of the SAT Subject test is not AP level. It is closer to regular class level. Pick up an SAT Subject test sample exam book and look through the bio and chemistry tests. That will give you a good notion of how hard you would need to review in order to do well on one of them.
    · Reply · Share
  • milgymfammilgymfam 826 replies14 threadsRegistered User Member
    My daughter attended a semester school last year. I know they’re all unique, but I can say that she wouldn’t have been able to add more to the classes she had there. There was a lot of homework and group activities that took up most of the non-school time.
    · Reply · Share
    Same here, I think I'll just study for the biology subject test and take AP Physics next year @milgymfam
    · Reply · Share