right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

800 school avg sat?

Bscolar2020Bscolar2020 31 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
I go to a large public high school with
-800 average sat
-86% economically disadvantaged
-50% English as a second language

My sat score is a 1330 and I’m low Iincome(<15k). I heard that colleges look at you in context of your high school but I’m still worried that it’s too low. I’m ranked 11/650 and have a 4.2 gpa but I’m wondering if my sat will kill it for me even though it’s way above the school avg?
20 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: 800 school avg sat?

• BKSquaredBKSquared 1386 replies7 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Depends which schools you are shooting for. Also are you a URM?
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 21122 replies219 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Depends on what colleges you are aiming for.

The best approach is to build an application list that includes a range of reaches, matches, and safeties/likelies.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1719 replies26 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You're fine. You have a good SAT score - well done. I think colleges will be very impressed with your achievements in the context of your school. You rose above the environment. Good for you.
    · Reply · Share
  • Bscolar2020Bscolar2020 31 replies9 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    Yes I’m a Muslim Arab girl from Lebanon and Afghanistan
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 41880 replies451 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Are you applying through Questbridge?
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55537 replies2895 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    The National College Match is open to all U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents OR students, regardless of citizenship, currently attending high school in the United States.

Additional Citizenship Requirements

Important considerations for students who are not U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents, but are attending high school in the United States: Only some of our colleges will consider non-U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents for admission and full scholarships through the Match.
    Questbridge is not an option for an international applicant.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78229 replies690 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yes I’m a Muslim Arab girl from Lebanon and Afghanistan

Are you a US citizen or permanent resident? If so, which state are you a resident of? Others can help you better with college selection and admissions if you also mention your high school unweighted GPA and what type of courses you scheduled.

Regarding "URM", that is typically only considered for US citizens and permanent residents. Also, most colleges do not consider Arab (or central Asian) people to be such.
    · Reply · Share
    I’m a US Citizen in Michigan. I was born in New York.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes I am
    · Reply · Share
    US Citizen
    3.9 Unweighted

AP computer science principles
    AP Literature
    AP physics C:Mechanics (online)
    Col Calculus 3(at local community college)
    Col Linear Algebra(at local community college)
    US gov(grad requirement)
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3816 replies48 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Can you actually show the average SAT for your school in 800? Your school offers plenty of APs for such a low number, are you actually sure? Have you got the school profile in front of you?
    · Reply · Share
    I got to an advanced half day program that offers me these AP’s. I’m 100% sure it’s an 800, a school counselor showed me the high school profile. My school is majority refugees and ESL(English as a second language) students. Personally, I was ESL until I tested out of it in elementary school.
    · Reply · Share
    My half day program doesn’t have a profile and I can’t mention it on my app because it’s a program that include kids from all the High schools in my district. We have plenty of AP classes but we can’t start taking them till our junior year with the exception of APUSH sophomore year. I have about 7 AP’s (which is a high number for my school). Also, kids usually dual enroll at the local community college so we can’t/don’t take all the AP classes
    · Reply · Share
    Do the Michigan public universities look affordable in their net price calculators?
    · Reply · Share
    Yes if I get into the University of Michigan I’d automatically get a full ride. My brother also went there so I have a “legacy”. My school also sends about 20 kids to umich every year.
    · Reply · Share
    Have you checked the other Michigan public universities' net price calculators, including those which would be safeties for admission for you?
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3816 replies48 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 15
    The reality is then, half your schooling is with other bright kids. You might want to see how that all looks in your transcript (ask for a copy ). You could just as easily be seen in the context of the magnet program. For sure in my kids HS that ran the gamut, this would be contextualized. You can't have it both ways.
    edited September 15
    · Reply · Share
    In "additional information", you would mention that you were selected for a half day enrichment program allowing you to take more advanced classes than is offered at your HS.
    Apply through Questbridge*: guaranteed 4-year full rides at the best universities in the country. Your sat score is above their threshold and everything else is exactly what they're looking for.
    The application deadline is coming up so look it up quickly.

* A group of the best US colleges that got together to attract the brightest lower income and middle class students who may not dare apply or haven't heard of them, offering a guaranteed 4-year full ride. It's HIGHLY selective but if you get in you have access to so many opportunities it's hard to imagine before you get there.
    · Reply · Share
    In actually halfway through the questbridge application but thank you so much for the advice!
    · Reply · Share
    Excellent! Not all students know about this program.
    Obviously apply EA to UMich :)
    · Reply · Share