right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

I have a low sat score but high grade des How will this affect my admission into good schools?

willthegamer24willthegamer24 1 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
edited September 15 in College Admissions
Hello, I came here just to get some clarification on something that has really been on my mind. As of right now I have a low sat score (1030) , however I plan on taking the Sat again in October and November. My average is currently around the 91-93 range in my high school. I have taken 2 ap classes completing my 3 this year which will be ap gov. I will be taking a non ap college class in school and have already taken two college courses at a actual college with me receiving a A grade in both. My extracurricular activity’s are being school president etc. However despite all of that I wanted to know what my Chance's are at getting into a descent college/University at this rate? I am open to full honestly.
edited September 15
6 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I have a low sat score but high grade des How will this affect my admission into good schools?

• EmpireappleEmpireapple 1717 replies26 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 15
    You will be able to get into many good schools with those stats.
    edited September 15
    · Reply · Share
  • Dancingmom518Dancingmom518 351 replies3 threadsRegistered User Member
    You could look at test optional schools. There are many good ones.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8928 replies334 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What state are you from? State schools generally have a good mix of campuses and can accommodate many different types of students. Have you asked your parents what your budget is? Where you can go will depend on how much your family can pay.
    · Reply · Share
  • 1NJParent1NJParent 1364 replies35 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 15
    Standardized test scores and HS grades aren't substitute for one another. They're complementary. Good test scores serve as validation of good grades, as course rigor and grading policy vary from HS to HS. Good grades also act as a check that a student's good test scores aren't fluke or the results of excessive test preps. A student generally needs both for selective colleges unless the student can demonstrate his/her academic abilities in some other ways.
    edited September 15
    · Reply · Share
  • willthegamer24willthegamer24 1 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    I'm from New York state. I was thinking the fact that because I've already completed 2 legit college class at a college with real professor's and did well in them might, that might move the needle and prove I'm a good student etc. If that fact will change my Chance's of being accepted into a good college just in case my sat scores don't end up where they need to be after I retake it.
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 8928 replies334 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 15
    Your test scores will matter even at the SUNYs. Lots of students dual enroll and still have great grades and test scores. I don't think good grades in college courses can offset a low SAT score. But there are plenty of SUNY schools. Look at the SUNY fast facts info. sheet or search for SUNY SAT scores to see what each school requires. I think Fredonia, Brockport, Oneonta, and Cortland may be options with your current stats. They're all good schools.
    edited September 15
    · Reply · Share