right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Do colleges really track if you attended an open house, emails, admissions session, tours, etc?

marrechmarrech 2 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
I just came from a college financial planning session, pitching their business, and they mentioned that colleges track how often you open their emails, if you attended any events at the college, how often you visit their websites, etc... to learn if you are really interested. Is this true? Are they really tracking?
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do colleges really track if you attended an open house, emails, admissions session, tours, etc?

• TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 14733 replies985 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Some colleges do all of that, some don't do any of that.

Go to the CDS for colleges you are interested in and see if they consider "demonstrated interest". If they do then they likely do many of the things you mentioned. This is especially true if the student's stats are in the top quartile of accepted students. It helps them eliminate (deny/waitlist) applicants they feel are using the school as a safety.
    · Reply · Share
  • PetraMCPetraMC 771 replies5 threadsRegistered User Member
    I'm sure some do but it seems really out of touch. "She must not be serious because she didn't open our rather bland marketing materials."
    · Reply · Share
  • northwestynorthwesty 3492 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    All selective schools care a LOT about enrollment per admit offer, otherwise known as "yield."

If a school extensively uses ED, SCEA or REA, they know the kids applying that way are highly interested and likely to enroll. The ultimate demonstration of interest, of course, is a binding ED application. So all those other touch points matter much less. Among the top 20-30, typically half the seats (or more) are filled through the high yielding restrictive early round.

For selective schools that don't use ED/SCEA/REA extensively, then they typically would track all of those things. Classic example of this is Tulane.

For years, Tulane mostly operated on unrestricted EA and RD. Accordingly, Tulane was a very popular back-up/safety application for kids shooting higher -- say Vandy or Duke. Tulane would accept lots of those high stat kids but very few of them would end up enrolling. So what did Tulane do?

First, they put a HUGE emphasis on tracking demonstrated interest. Very high stat kids applying EA without having visited campus (or otherwise showing serious interest) would very often get deferred to RD. Once the kids showed some interest (like visiting campus in the spring after not getting into Duke or Vandy) the RD admit offer would be forthcoming. And Tulane was very transparent about how much they valued demonstrated interest.

Second, more recently Tulane took it further by adding ED in addition to EA and RD. The percentage of seats filled by ED at Tulane has gone from 0% to 25% in just the past few years.

Bottom line, schools love applicants that show them the love.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 4217 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    There are many articles about colleges tracking software. Just assume they do. You should get looking at their website anyway to learn about the school.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34101 replies376 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Whether or not they track, it's not about opening emails or making travel arrangements. The phrase is demonstrated interest. It shows best in your application. Not whether you took a tour. Do you know the school(s) you're applying for or give generic (or irrelevant) answers to any Why Us or questions on the supp. Even the ECs you list can show them if you understand what they want.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 4217 replies17 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    So you can sign the sheets when a school visits your school or region. They do look at those. You can sign in when you do a tour or visit a department. You can email your AO and or professor and ask intelligent questions that can't be answered on their website. You can look at the college course offerings or clubs /activities and mention that in your essay "when emailing with professor x I learned about x and that is what I want in my college education" etc.

Use words like when "researching x"

Apply Early if you can.

These are all things that show interest.

· Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2236 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Whether or not they track, it's not about opening emails or making travel arrangements. The phrase is demonstrated interest. It shows best in your application. Not whether you took a tour. Do you know the school(s) you're applying for or give generic (or irrelevant) answers to any Why Us or questions on the supp. Even the ECs you list can show them if you understand what they want.

But at some schools the amount and/or nature of the demonstrated interest directly impacts the type/thoroughness of review the application gets. Any number of schools (generally not highly selectives) segment apps by likelihood of attendance if offered admission before the app is even read, while some do it in parallel to reading the apps. This segmentation is based on scores generated by predictive analytic models.

These models use variables that often include some concept of demonstrated interest activities, such as traveled over X distance to visit, interacted with AO, requested info, etc. If the model suggests the applicant won't attend if offered admission, Why Us and ECs won't matter as much....this is all part of understanding what a school wants and if demonstrated interest is important/considered, the applicants who don't meet those hurdles are disadvantaged.

· Reply · Share
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids 650 replies63 threadsRegistered User Member
    I have a logistical question. I get actual visits and opening emails, but how do they track website visits?
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34101 replies376 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "But at some schools the amount and/or nature of the demonstrated interest directly impacts the type/thoroughness of review the application gets."

Never heard that not opening emails can stop an applicant at first cut. Yes, it can be a factor in the holistic review, if you don't visit and live close enough for a day trip or one overnight.

But many families don't visit colleges until an admit, many can't afford to run around doing all that travelling. And distance travelled?? And some schools simply do not track, regardless of other optimization programs they may use.

And the decisive factors ARE in the app. Visit multiple times, get on the mailing list, send emails to adcoms, showup at a college fair, etc, etc, will not overcome a weak app. Or a strong one where the Why Us crumbles.

Maybe OP needs to tell us the college targets or at least the tier.
    · Reply · Share
  • marrechmarrech 2 replies2 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Hello everyone, thank you for the replies. I am stuck on some of the acronyms in the responses. I am a newby to this site. Can you help me?

EA=Early Action
    AO=Admission officer
    CDS
    SCEA
    REA
    ED=Early Decision
    RD
    EC
    Us
    · Reply · Share
  • helpingmom40helpingmom40 58 replies2 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    CDS is common data set, SCEA is single choice early action, REA is restricted early action, RD is regular decision, EC is extra curriculars, Us is from the “Why Us” supplemental application essay that asks a student why they are applying to us, as in the pronoun.
    · Reply · Share