right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Paper published vs in preparation?

ChanceMe1011ChanceMe1011 13 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
edited October 9 in College Admissions
So I am second author on a paper that will be submitted to a great journal most likely by the end of the month. Obviously this isn't the same as having published research, but will listing the name of the paper and its citation still add significant value to my application? I am also the single author on a paper in a high school journal.
edited October 9
21 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Paper published vs in preparation?

• skieuropeskieurope 39207 replies6994 threadsSuper Moderator Super Moderator
    The research will add value. How "significant" it will be depends on your definition of the word.

The HS journal paper will not move the needle, but you can still list it.
    · Reply · Share
  • clgApp20clgApp20 24 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    A paper communicated for publication can add value - but wondering where do you plan to list this? as an activity vs additional information vs in an essay?

I think where you list is an important consideration - and can change if it registers in the minds of AO's.
    · Reply · Share
  • happy1happy1 22851 replies2248 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    edited October 9
    I would focus on the research itself rather than the as of yet unpublished paper at this point.

Agree that you should list the HS journal paper.
    edited October 9
    · Reply · Share
  • ChanceMe1011ChanceMe1011 13 replies3 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    So you’re suggesting not to list the second authorf paper?
    · Reply · Share
    I’m putting it under a research section i made in additional information
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55524 replies2894 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you have room in your activities section wher eyou likely listed the reseacrch, you can add second authour on article submitted for publication
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34101 replies376 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited October 9
    If you're 2nd author, sure you can list it. But in real life, a lot depends on your role. Some kids do little, but have a generous mentor who includes them. Just being listed isn't the "it." It's even becoming common for some fields. Just saying you're part of this isn't very descriptive of you, as an applicant.

So, it's not a special tip. Having found the opp and committed to it is more. In some cases, a 'check mark' that you pursued this. Make sure your Addl Info doesn't run on. A short para can do. You don't need intricate details.

Be careful not to overuse Addl Info. Adcoms just want the gist of something that doesn't fit in otherwise. Not a full resume. Editing carefully is nice, after making the decision what belongs there.
    edited October 9
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 9
    To clarify, the paper will likely not be submitted in time for early action deadlines. Would it still be meaningful if I listed it as “in preparation for submission to ...” in the additional info section?
    edited October 9
    · Reply · Share
    happy1 wrote: »
    I would focus on the research itself rather than the as of yet unpublished paper at this point. .
    So you’re suggesting not to list the second authorf paper?

I'm taking the OP at his/her word that the article will be submitted for publication "by the end of the month." Since "by the end of the month" is before most apps are due, I would list it as having been submitted for publication. However, if by the time you submit applications the article has not been submitted, I would simply focus on the research as opposed to the paper.
    · Reply · Share
    Yes, be honest. You can say "second author on XXXX, being submitted for publication" if the date of submission isn't clear.
    · Reply · Share
  • GoatMamaGoatMama 1199 replies10 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If the paper has been submitted by the time you send in your application, consider giving the name of the journal rather than stating that it's "a great journal."
    · Reply · Share
    Obviously I will list the name of the journal on my application, but I want to maintain my anonymity here.
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 9
    What do you mean by "focus on the research"? My PI is the one who told me "by the end of the month", I'll have to ask them if it's ok to just say "submitted". I just don't want to end up lying by saying that the paper has been submitted before it actually has, as I am planning on submitting my application within a week or so.
    edited October 9
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 9
    I was just thinking of listing the citation so as to keep it succinct. Would it look bad if I didn't add a description of what I did for the project? I have been working at the lab in question for quite a long time so I don't think it'll look like the PI is just being nice to me.
    edited October 9
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 9
    What do you mean by "focus on the research"? My PI is the one who told me "by the end of the month", I'll have to ask them if it's ok to just say "submitted"

If the paper has not been submitted, then the activity is "Performed research on XYZ under the supervision of Dr. ABC" or however you want to describe it.
    Would it still be meaningful if I listed it as “in preparation for submission to ...” in the additional info section?
    You're overthinking. The value is in what you did, not in what you hope may happen.
    edited October 9
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 9
    What’s wrong with just saying “in preparation for submission to....” if it has not been submitted? I already have my research in the activities section
    edited October 9
    · Reply · Share
  • BKSquaredBKSquared 1382 replies7 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Don't assume AO's will necessarily connect dots from different sections. What most people here are advising is mentioning that you will be a second author on a paper submitted (or to be submitted) for publication is a plus, but what will be more of a plus is to put that in the context your role in the research wherever you choose to mention this., e.g., "Compiled data on XYZ in lab as part of research of ABC [to be] submitted for publication in EFG Journal. Will be listed as second author."
    · Reply · Share
    Alright alright that makes perfect sense, thank you. I am going to describe what I did and just say which journal we are submitting to.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34101 replies376 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited October 9
    And really, "submitted" isn't accepted by the journal. Lots happens before they accept it, if they do. You could submit to the best publication in the world and all you've done is send it.
    edited October 9
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 9
    It takes a long time for a submitted article to be accepted, edits done, and finally published in a respected/juried journal (IIRC, mine took 2 years from submission to publication). There is no chance the paper, if it has yet to be submitted, will be peer reviewed and possibly accepted in time to be mentioned in the application. So, IMO, mentioning its being submitted is reasonable. Of course, if you are listing this in the CA activities section, be mindful of the character limit.
    edited October 9
    · Reply · Share