right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Will I get into UNC in State

Hello, Im a senior at a small school in Wilson North Carolina that doesn’t report class rank. I have a 3.64 unweighted and a 4.64 weighted gpa along with a 1260 sat. I have taken 12 AP classes and 10 Honors courses throughout high school. I have tons of extracurriculars including NHS, SGA, Chick-fil-a Leader Academy- raised 26,000 dollars for chew in 2018, Youth and Government, Tennis, and Shotgun Shooting- NC National Team member. I worked at the after school program at my school for a year and have helped a retired teacher at his house for the past 2 months. I have already applied early action to NC and hope to get in. What are my chances?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Will I get into UNC in State

• coolguy40coolguy40 2342 replies3 threads Senior Member
    Chances would be slim to none. The unweighted GPA and SAT scores are much lower than average. It certainly wouldn't hurt to apply, but don't hold your breath. You're about 50/50 for NCSU, which makes it a match.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2459 replies36 threads Senior Member
    I can't chance you but UNC Chapel Hill is a reach....does your school use Naviance? If so what does that show? What does your GC say?

Certainly apply, but make sure to have a list that includes target schools and at least one affordable highly likely/safety school.

Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • EconPopEconPop 226 replies6 threads Junior Member
    You should definitely chase your dream and apply for UNC. Your stats are not way outside of the range, but they are on the shy side of average stats of in-state accepted students.

If you're certain you're going to a public NC university, go ahead and apply early action to two or three more at the same time. You'll have a better change (but no guarantee) at NCSU. You should get into just about all the rest. Choose three besides UNC, find out early which ones you get into, and then you can start really planning where you go next year.
    · Reply · Share
  • ToddinRaleighToddinRaleigh 55 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I think you have a great chance of getting in. Contrary to what people tell you it's not that hard to get in Carolina if you are outside of Wake and Mecklingburg counties. Carolina is one of the places that wants equal representation from the 100 NC counties and being in Wilson will play to your advantage.
    · Reply · Share
  • mark89uncmark89unc 42 replies1 threads Junior Member
    UNC Chapel Hill admissions, as well as our school counselor, have told us several times that they look for the best applicants period. They do NOT take into account county quotas for representation in a class profile.

With that said, admission for you will be very difficult. Try to get your test score improved. You never know, things work out for the best. Best of luck!!!!
    · Reply · Share
  • dkahfdfhkdkahfdfhk 233 replies3 threads Junior Member
    @mark89unc UNC 100% takes county into account when looking at applications. Getting in from Wake/Meck is far more difficult than from rural counties due to an initiative by the school to increase representation across the state. There is a whole doc/statement about it online, it’s not hard to find.
    · Reply · Share
  • fancypants2019fancypants2019 48 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @ToddinRaleigh SOrry, but your statement "its not hard to get into Carolina if you're outside wake and meck" is utterly ridiculous. It does not matter who you are and which part of the country you are applying from, getting into Chapel Hill is difficult period. Is it probably slightly easier to get into UNC from rural places in NC? Sure, but the Chapel Hill standards are not dropped significantly just because you are rural. Almost across the board, you need to be in the top 10%-15% of your class, high SAT/ACT, and phenomenal EC and essays. Do some research before you write.
    · Reply · Share