right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Decision Season: How often do people check portals and what can you share?

OceanIsleOceanIsle 84 replies8 threads Junior Member
edited November 8 in College Admissions
Is it a waste of time to check portals in the evening after staff goes home?

Do most schools update multiple times per day or just once?

We have seen one college which updates overnight, but that was for app materials (not an Admissions decision).
edited November 8
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Decision Season: How often do people check portals and what can you share?

• RedhoundsRedhounds 45 replies1 threads Junior Member
    New College of Florida portal updated around 8pm Eastern today (Friday). They sent out an email at 8:20 Eastern.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78559 replies695 threads Senior Member
    edited November 8
    Leigh considers level of applicant's interest, and uses whether the applicant checked the portal as an indicator of level of applicant's interest.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/education/20130331_Lehigh_and_the_Fall_Freshman_Class.html
    The New Jersey high school student was on the fence by a lot of measures, and as a result drew one of the longest conversations of that day.

But one thing that really got the team: He never opened his portal. The portal is the online site where students check on the status of their application and receive updates. The staff sees it as a major indicator of how serious a student is about Lehigh. The teen also never visited.

[...]

The case drew one of the closest votes of the day, 9-7, to wait-list.
    edited November 8
    · Reply · Share
  • OceanIsleOceanIsle 84 replies8 threads Junior Member
    @ucbalumnus , that’s a fascinating excerpt, and quite logical on the part of the Admissions staff if you ask me. Thank you for sharing.
    · Reply · Share
  • EconPopEconPop 215 replies5 threads Junior Member
    edited November 9
    OceanIsle wrote: »
    How often do people check portals
    In my case, too doggone much!

If @ucbalumnus is right, my son's admissions discussions should be shoo-ins. :smiley:

I need a three-step program to cut back on portal checking.
    edited November 9
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7582 replies61 threads Senior Member
    My D checked daily for the schools that had rolling admission. The others she checked weekly because there were occasionally updates on scholarships and honors.
    · Reply · Share