right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Dropping math and science senior year?

nr548grad21nr548grad21 14 replies7 threads Junior Member
Hi! I'm currently a junior and thinking about dropping math and science next year. Technically, I have completed all my necessary math and science classes (3 years of each) as I started high school courses in 8th grade. To add on, I do not plan on going into STEM in college--I want to major in political science, minor in English, and go to law school. The math and science classes would be replaced with high level (AP/college) history and English classes. How would this look to colleges, especially top ones? For example, I'm planning on applying to Columbia, Brown, Georgetown, Boston U, Boston College, and Northeastern.

8th:
- living environment
- algebra 1

9th:
- chemistry H
- geometry H

10th:
- AP chem
- algebra 2 H

11th:
- college physics
- college pre-calc

replacement for math and science: AP research, AP lang, college level government and economic classes (don't offer AP at my school for those types of classes), possibly AP world history
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Dropping math and science senior year?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78557 replies695 threads Senior Member
    You can check the web sites of the colleges of interest to see what they require or recommend. But note that at more competitive colleges, many applicants not intending science majors will have a higher base in all areas, including math through calculus, etc..

Political science majors commonly need statistics or a major-specific quantitative methods or data anlysis course (consider the analysis of polls and elections). So do not ignore the potential need for math.

In addition, on the LSAT and in law, you will need to think logically. Of typical high school subjects, math is the best practice for that (though proof-based math is better than computational math). In college, some philosophy courses can also help you practice thinking in ways that can help on the LSAT and in law. Law school does not require any specific undergraduate major.
    · Reply · Share
  • surfcitysurfcity 2547 replies60 threads Senior Member
    Your guidance counselor will probably not be able to check the “most rigorous” box on your transcript which would be essential for many of those schools.
    · Reply · Share