right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Passions

richgolden1richgolden1 0 replies2 threads New Member
edited November 9 in College Admissions
Is it true that rather than joining a bunch of random extracurriculars, colleges actually prefer seeing a student’s involvement in certain passions?

I’m an Asian-American, 1st gen immigrant (born here), female looking at Northwestern, Wake Forest, Butler, NYU, Fordham, Emory, UPenn, and Rice. (+ safeties)

I’m also not an extraordinary student, I take a bunch of APs and Honors. However, I occasionally get B’s.

I’ve known for a while that I want to pursue a career in nursing and even go as far as receiving a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN).

I’m currently in a bunch of random clubs and have accumulated over 250+ healthcare service hours with different hospitals, nursing homes, and social justice/immigrant organizations. But I heard that colleges aren’t as interested in the students who are in a bunch of random clubs aren’t that “special” anymore and instead students who devote their time to certain “passions” (I’ve narrowed mine down to healthcare and social justice- also are those cliche?).

So basically, now I’m reconsidering my whole EC involvement and only participate in activities that are centered around my “passions”. Is that a terrible idea?
edited November 9
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Passions

• HKimPOSSIBLEHKimPOSSIBLE 335 replies27 threads Member
    This is such a difficult question to answer because we aren't admissions officers. However, as a fellow applicant who has also a couple hundred hours in hospital shadowing and volunteering, I'd such just do what you do without really thinking of Admissions. It's a difficult thing to do, but for me, I want to become a physician, and the things I do are to give me insight and experience.

If you have many wild interests and you are able to prioritize them properly, I don't see why you shouldn't pursue them; I have a "passion" for fish breeding, model aircraft flying, and the like which are radically different and almost polar opposites from anything medicine related, but they play a big part in my identity and extracurricular activities.
    · Reply · Share
  • bigmacbethbigmacbeth 575 replies4 threads Member
    As another point of reference, my D20 decided on nursing during her junior year. She did pick up 30 hours of volunteering at a hospital, but that was it. She has been admitted to 3 direct admit nursing programs, and rejected from none (3.93/4.3 and 1440). I would definitely make sure your safeties have direct admit programs (Penn and Emory (kind of) do, but I'm not sure about the others). Also, you don't have to spend a lot to get a nursing degree, and my understanding is that an MSN is generally for when you want to target hospital management, rather than any sort of specialty. So, you may not need the masters. You may want to consider the Nurse Practitioner route instead.
    · Reply · Share