right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

What is the point of a college Audition?

AluraGM101AluraGM101 0 replies1 threads New Member
I want to major in either musical theatre or theatre itself but im having a hard time understanding the point of the college audition. Is it to put you in a certain class level like beginner class or...? I notice that you have to be accepted in the college first so that’s why I was wondering.
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What is the point of a college Audition?

• rickle1rickle1 2086 replies18 threads Senior Member
    If it's a BFA program, the point is to decide whether or not to accept you into their program. Most BFAs are very small and will take a very low number of students. Crazy compeitive. These programs are for those planning on professional theater careers. Very common for BFA candidates to be accepted to the school, even with an academic scholarship but not awarded entrance into the MT or T program. I think the process is crazy. Be nice if they let you audition first to determine if you even want to apply. D currently has been accepted into several schools with significant academic scholarships but only a few will even pass her prescreen...but she had to apply and pay the fees (oh yeah - I guess that's the point - fees!)

If it is a BA program, most don't require auditions. Some will in order to evaluate you and see if you are artistic scholarship worthy. There are some BA programs with very good theater programs. These should not be ignored, even for the ones who want a professional career.

Hope this helps.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1330 replies19 threads Senior Member
    AluraGM101 wrote: »
    I notice that you have to be accepted in the college first so that’s why I was wondering.

What school has auditions after acceptance? It’s certainly not an area I’m very familiar with, but the schools I know of/people who have applied for Music, Drama, etc., have had auditions as part of the acceptance process.

· Reply · Share
    ^ In the MT world, almost all of them. D has been academically accepted into many already. Auditions won't take place to Jan / Feb.

What makes it worse is the academic acceptance includes scholarships to the general school, but if she doesn't pass the audition she can't attend because she can't be in the progam. It's completely backwards. Pretty certain it's a scheme to raise funds from all those app fees.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1330 replies19 threads Senior Member
    That is weird. My only experience is at CMU where you need to pass a pre-screen to get invited to an audition to allow you to apply. From a couple of fraternity brothers that were Drama and Design, it sounded pretty rigorous. We engineers only needed SAT scores...
    · Reply · Share
    Typically, you apply to the school acadmically and once they have all or a certain amount of your application material, they allow you to submit a prescreen (varies by school ). Like any other application, you need to submit the app fee, the fees to send the college board info, etc. Then they send a message ( a few days, a few weeks, etc.) to submit prescreen. Depending on the school and it's academic admissions process, some will admit before you even send the prescreen. Others will admit while you're waiting for results. I think this has to do with the lack of academic rigor required by a lot of these schools (for regular admissions). Few programs view artists (including CMU) through the same academic lens as traditional applicants. Two reasons for that may be: 1. The talent level we're talking about (think D1 athlete) requires a TON of time dedicated to the arts - almost like having a full time job after school, yr round. Not a lot of time left for anything else. And, 2. Lots of these programs are conservatory style where there is little done outside of the major. Very different than the typical college course distribution. CMU works this way too, although they are one of a small list (of 21 schools) that haven't replied academically.

Essentially, D has been admitted to many of her schools, several with scholarships, and she won't audition until Jan / Feb. She won't know if she was admitted into BFA program until early March. So completely backwards process if you ask me. No point in applying to the school if she knew she wouldn't be selected via audition into the BFA. Why not do that first? Chicken and egg thing I guess.
    · Reply · Share