right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Read more here. Thanks for your understanding!

I think I’m going to get a B, will this hurt my chances to get into my dream school(Stanford)

HVSandhuHVSandhu 2 replies1 threads New Member
First a profile, I’m a Asian -American freshmen. Due to Freshmen PE being a participation based class and since I was gone on vacation my teacher gave me all 0’s for two weeks and from the looks of it I’ll be getting a B in that class for this semester. Will this hurt my chances of getting into a selective school? ( and please be honest)
13 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I think I’m going to get a B, will this hurt my chances to get into my dream school(Stanford)

• jzducoljzducol 759 replies13 threads Member
    Your dream school Stanford does not take into account freshman year grade in their admission decisions, so you are ok in that regard.
    · Reply · Share
  • HVSandhuHVSandhu 2 replies1 threads New Member
    What about other colleges?
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2463 replies47 threads Senior Member
    No, a B in freshman gym isn't going to be an issue. However if you continue to get B's in gym in future years, that might send the wrong message.

Just make up the classes, for heavens sake. Yes, needing to make them up is silly and kind of a pain. But it is good for your mental and physical health.
    · Reply · Share
  • HVSandhuHVSandhu 2 replies1 threads New Member
    Thanks, this was very good advice.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 2522 replies5 threads Senior Member
    "You also need to recognize that HS should be an experience in and of itself -- a time of learning and growth and not just a 4 year college application prep experience"

Once an Asian American says Stanford is the dream school, high school is already a 4 year college app, learning and growth are just empty platitudes at this point.

OP, I'm not trying to single you out or anything, in fact I hope you take some of the good advice in this thread.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 4604 replies18 threads Senior Member
    Keep in mind. Even with perfect scores, grades, activities etc your chances to getting accepted to Stanford is slim for like everyone. Don't live your life reaching for something that no matter what you do, might not happen. Follow the above advice. Take classes that you find interesting and challenging. Do activities that speak to you. Have some fun and get good grades. The rest have their way to working themselves out
    · Reply · Share
  • TheFrenchChefTheFrenchChef 179 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Wow this is sad to read.
    · Reply · Share
  • sybbie719sybbie719 20774 replies2016 threads Super Moderator
    Knowsstuff wrote: »
    Keep in mind. Even with perfect scores, grades, activities etc your chances to getting accepted to Stanford is slim for like everyone. Don't live your life reaching for something that no matter what you do, might not happen. Follow the above advice. Take classes that you find interesting and challenging. Do activities that speak to you. Have some fun and get good grades. The rest have their way to working themselves out

^^^ THIS!!

Keep in mind that Stanford has approximately a 4% admit rate. Please do not put all of your eggs in the Stanford basket
    · Reply · Share
  • coolguy40coolguy40 2429 replies3 threads Senior Member
    It's nothing to stress over. 95% of applicants, with perfectly competitive grades and scores, get declined at Stanford. You can't expect anymore than that, at least not without driving yourself into madness. Just get the best grades you can, then apply and see what happens.
    · Reply · Share
  • thumper1thumper1 75514 replies3310 threads Senior Member
    You also might want to suggest to your family that taking vacations during the school year in high school might not be the best plan. Frankly, you are lucky your core class grades were not affected. Where I am, a family vacation taken during school time...all the days are considered unexcused absences and no work can be made up. There are plenty of school vacations that can be used for...vacation.

Re: Stanford. 95% of applicants get rejected. In that 95%, there are plenty of extremely well qualified applicants. The same is true for most top 20 schools.

As a freshman, you need to do well, and if you are thinking about colleges...you need to broaden your thinking...and ditch the dream school thing.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 23399 replies17 threads Senior Member
    Go to school. Don't go on 2 week vacations during the school year. I'm surprised all your other teachers didn't give you 0s.
    · Reply · Share