right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have identified a log in issue that is preventing some members from accessing the site. The support team is diligently working on resolving it. We hope to have an update soon. Read more here. Thanks for your understanding!

Admission Officers, HS Counselors Reveal Pet Peeves About Parental Involvement

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 32 replies308 threads Editor
Check out what these experts say about parental involvement in the admissions process. https://insights.collegeconfidential.com/admission-officers-hs-counselors-reveal-pet-peeves-about-parents
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Admission Officers, HS Counselors Reveal Pet Peeves About Parental Involvement

• RichInPittRichInPitt 1298 replies19 threads Senior Member
    ”DON'T write a recommendation for your student”

This both both funny, because I can’t imagine anyone doing this, and sad because it probably means someone has..
    · Reply · Share
  • milgymfammilgymfam 985 replies16 threads Senior Member
    @RichInPitt I have written them for both of my children as their counselor, as I’m sure most other homeschool parents have. I do not write it from a mom perspective, and my kids have been quite lucky with admissions so far, so I couldn’t have done too much harm.
    · Reply · Share
  • FourAtShoreFourAtShore 37 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Parental LOR may also be appropriate when child is applying to parent's alma mater. Before submitting, I would reach out to the alma mater to ask if parental LORs are accepted and encouraged. I know they are at my alma mater.
    · Reply · Share
  • marrastmarrast 97 replies15 threads Junior Member
    DD applied to Smith College three years ago. After she submitted her application, the admissions head sent a letter asking if there was anything that we as parents would like to add about our daughter. I wrote a nice letter about her, describing things that only a parent would know. I thought it an appropriate manner to involve parents, and I very much enjoyed the opportunity to tell the school about her.

I don't know if it made any difference, but she was accepted and also offered a STRIDE scholarship. I like to think that I had a small part in the process, and was grateful for the chance to participate, however small my role may have been.
    · Reply · Share
  • mackinawmackinaw 3040 replies54 threads Senior Member
    When I applied to Reed many years ago, all applicants were asked to have a parent's letter. My Mom wrote mine. I wish I had a copy now. I never read it.
    · Reply · Share