right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

I need some advise on whether I should apply with an F on one subject or wait an entire year.

hellonamaste1hellonamaste1 3 replies1 threads New Member
I currently have an 3.2 Gpa, which will go down to 3.0 if I choose to get a c on Chem and F on Calculus 1. Should I retake both of them by getting an F on chem too and cancel my college applications? I am also worried about too many credits, I heard some colleges do not take students with too many credits.
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I need some advise on whether I should apply with an F on one subject or wait an entire year.

• aquaptaquapt 2255 replies45 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    Where are you applying? Are you in an AA-T program that tracks into a certain CSU major? If so, are chem and calc lower-division requirements? Is your major impacted, and if so does it require better than a 3.0? Have you finished your GE's? How many credits do you have? I doubt that failing chem on purpose is a good plan.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • hellonamaste1hellonamaste1 3 replies1 threads New Member
    My major is Psychology and i already have received an AA-T degree, my major does require a GPA higher than 3.0 and I have almost completed my GE's. I have 102 credits already.
    · Reply · Share
  • aquaptaquapt 2255 replies45 threads Senior Member
    Semester credits, or quarter credits? The minimum for an AA is 60 semester or 90 quarter credit hours, and the maximum you can transfer is 70 semester or 105 quarter credits. But having more won't necessarily keep you from being accepted; it'll just mean that some of those credits are wasted. (Even though they all still count toward your transfer GPA calculation.)

I think you need to talk to a transfer advisor at your CC and get their advice. But what you might want to do is add another application or two, to campuses that are still accepting apps for psych and have non-impacted or less-impacted programs. There are definitely some options but some have 12/15 deadlines so you'll want to check out your options quickly. You should still be okay for a number of schools that are still taking applications.

https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/pages/application-dates-deadlines.aspx
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you so much, I have applied to state and UC's already. I am sure most if not all UC's will reject me but I may get into some college.

I am thinking of taking calculus again next semester to make up for my F. I'm not sure if I should apply next year again and get an F on chem. I do not think getting 2 Fs will look good on my application, even if I manage to get A's in both of them later on.
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom 28829 replies209 threadsForum Champion UC Forum Champion
    Any way to withdraw from your classes?. A W is far better than an F and I would not intentionally get an F in the Chem class so you can retake later.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 79714 replies712 threads Senior Member
    aquapt wrote: »
    Semester credits, or quarter credits? The minimum for an AA is 60 semester or 90 quarter credit hours, and the maximum you can transfer is 70 semester or 105 quarter credits. But having more won't necessarily keep you from being accepted; it'll just mean that some of those credits are wasted. (Even though they all still count toward your transfer GPA calculation.)

Note that while the credit units beyond 70 semester or 105 quarter are "wasted", all courses passed do count for subject credit to fulfill subject requirements and prerequisites.
    · Reply · Share
    The last date to get a W is already over. I took the finals this morning and will get a C in the class.
    · Reply · Share