right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Do spring semester senior grades matter?

spindipspindip 9 replies5 threads New Member
I know this question has been asked multiple times (and addressed just as many), but a lot of people are discussing extreme cases. For me, my spring semester course load isn't the lightest (but also isn't the worst) with AP French, AP Stats, and AP Gov. Im confident that I can obtain an A in at least stats but I am pretty unmotivated in French and history has never been my forte. I dont plan on having any C's in any of these classes, but if I let them drop to the B range from my normal A, will that be a problem? I know some schools request mid year reports from spring semester grades so will anything less than an A reflect badly and affect my chances of admission through the mid year report if I normally obtain As in all my other classes? Do schools even consider spring term grades in admission (I know they would for waitlist)? Again, I don't plan to let my grades slip completely but I definitely can't guarantee the same level of motivation that I maintained in my junior year and after prioritizing school for these past few years I really want to focus on other things.

Please let me know what you think!
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Do spring semester senior grades matter?

• drusbadrusba 9665 replies21 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    Grades from the last semester of senior year in high school are generally not considered in determining whether one should be admitted in the first instance, and that includes waitlists for most colleges. Exceptions are colleges that actually have no real application cut-off date and accept new applications as late as June to early August for the upcoming year.

However, every college reserves the right to take away any admission granted based on your final high school transcript that you usually send in June. Thus, bad grades in the last semester of senior year can potentially result in the withdrawal of an admission previously granted, leaving you in the worst possible position of having no college admissions less than two months before your first college semester starts.

How bad your last semester needs to be to result in withdrawal of admission varies among colleges, mostly B's along with some A's is usually not going to raise an issue. An A student dropping to C's could possibly raise an issue at a number of colleges, such as the higher ranked colleges. Getting below C can raise a serious red flag, regardless of rank of the college, and if it is in a course required for admission such a low grade can result in automatic withdrawal of an admission given.

The advice that every student should follow is not do anything to blow off a course in the last semester.

edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1619 replies25 threads Senior Member
    edited December 2019
    In general, it takes below a C to cause any issues. I suppose a C in multiple classes may raise an eyebrow, though I’ve never heard of it being an issue. But outside of those cases, no, not really.

But Spring Senior year is often getting ready for AP tests, which can be useful for college.

And college is going to be another gear in terms of intensity and time commitment. It’s probably not a good time to start developing slacker habits.
    edited December 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2657 replies55 threads Senior Member
    I agree with the other posters.

Just want to add that there is no guarantee you will be happy at your college next year, and in the event you want to transfer out for sophomore year, isn't it going to be easier to do that with a strong and consistent high school transcript vs. one that hinted that slacked off because you "wanted to focus on other things"? Stay strong. It's cheap insurance.
    · Reply · Share
  • SJ2727SJ2727 2165 replies7 threads Senior Member
    There are some instances in which too many Cs may be an issue for a hitherto largely A grade student, for example the condition below from UCSC about the extent of drop in GPA:
    ----

In accepting admission at UCSC, you agree that you will:

Maintain a level of academic achievement consistent with your previous coursework, in your fall and spring courses of your last year of school (as listed on your UC application) as preparation for success in college. A decline in GPA by a full grade point, may result in the cancellation of your admission.

FAQ 1A: My contract indicates “Maintain a level of academic achievement in your fall and spring courses consistent with your previous coursework.” What do you mean by “consistent?”
    Answer 1A: We expect that the grades you will earn in your senior year will look similar to the grades you earned in the first three years of your high school career; for instance, if you were a straight-A student for three years, we would expect A’s in your senior year. Consistency in your level of achievement must be carried through your senior year coursework.

----
    By contrast, my daughter's condition of admission was a much shorter and rather vague comment about maintaining consistent grades. I guess the lesson is to read and understand the conditions of admission for the college you accept.
    · Reply · Share
  • spindipspindip 9 replies5 threads New Member
    @drusba @RichInPitt @Groundwork2022 @SJ2727 Thanks for your responses. I'm not a slacker, and don't plan on being one either. I wont be skipping any assignments and whatnot but I just wanted to make sure that if I get a B on a test next semester then I don't need to stress over my grade all that much about it, that's all. Also by "focus on other things" I mainly meant repairing my deteriorating sleep schedule and probably requesting more hours at work.
    · Reply · Share