right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Deferred applicant

10328981032898 20 replies11 threads Junior Member
hello

im currently writing my appeal letter for Northwestern and I am not sure which teacher is the best to ask for a Northwestern-specific recommendation letter

I already asked my leadership teacher and she agreed to do it & im thinking about asking one academic teacher

for early decision, I've asked my Calc teacher (had her for three years from pre-calc to BC) and my chemistry teacher from junior year

out of all the teachers I have right now, im the closest with my calc teacher but im afraid that her rec letter may sound redundant and having a "variety" of teacher is better

so I did ask my ap lit teacher just in case and he agreed to help. We're not especially close and im just a normal student in his class

in your opinion, which teacher seems better to get a rec letter from?

I'd appreciate any help!

13 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Deferred applicant

• HKimPOSSIBLEHKimPOSSIBLE 415 replies27 threads Member
    I’m a little confused - do you mean a letter of continued interest? That’s the case, you, the applicant, need to write the letter yourself addressed to Northwestern that it’s your top choice.
    · Reply · Share
  • DriFitDriFit 16 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I too am not really getting what you're going with. Letters of continued interest are written and submitted by students. Just make sure to keep your letter to the point, talk about relevant updates, and sparkle it off with the right amount of enthusiasm. That's the best you can do.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9687 replies521 threads Senior Member
    You don’t appeal a deferral. Did they ask you to submit another letter of rec? If they allow an extra LOR, I suggest getting one from a boss, coach, church leader, or someone you know well outside of school to provide extra contact to your app.

You need to write a LOCI. IMO, that’s equally as important as another LOR. Be sure to punctuate and capitalize properly. Get someone to proofread it too. Frankly, what you’ve written here is not a great vote of confidence for your ability to succeed at NWU.
    · Reply · Share
  • 10328981032898 20 replies11 threads Junior Member
    @Lindagaf @DriFit @HKimPOSSIBLE

sorry I confused everyone... I didn't recognize how LOCI and appeal letter is completely different but I meant to say LOCI
    · Reply · Share

@DriFit

I just finished writing my LOCI! Since Northwestern is also allowing us to send another LOR, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask my leadership teacher & especially because I also included specific achievements from leadership and connected it to my major in the LOCI

but I was just wondering if another LOR is needed
    · Reply · Share
    edited January 12
    Lindagaf wrote: »
    Frankly, what you’ve written here is not a great vote of confidence for your ability to succeed at NWU.

@Lindagaf oop🤔😰

edited January 12
    · Reply · Share
  • DCCAWAMIIAILDCCAWAMIIAIL 164 replies3 threads Junior Member
    If they are allowing you to send an additional LOR then I don't know why you wouldn't do it... anything to boost your application!
    · Reply · Share
    you're right! would it hurt to turn in a rec letter from the same teacher that I asked for early decision? @DCCAWAMIIAIL

or should I ask my pastor since I'm closer with him (than my English teacher) although he doesn't have that much experience writing one?
    · Reply · Share
    I would definitely not ask any teacher whose LOR you already submitted - think of this as an opportunity to boost your application - what value would a repeat letter add?

Who did the initial LORs and who are you options now - wasn't totally clear from your initial post. And what are you interested in studying - which school at Northwestern are you applying to? (If you say engineering, I would think twice about a history teacher, for example.)
    · Reply · Share
    I am not sure your pastor makes sense unless you have shown significant leadership at your church - writing about your religious commitment or practices doesn't make for a good LOR to college.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2964 replies49 threads Senior Member
    edited January 13
    Since Northwestern is also allowing us to send another LOR,

If NU said to send another LoR, send *one* more LoR, not two, not three. Does NU give any direction for the LoR, such as it needs to be from a core course teacher? If not, your leadership teacher should be fine, but a core teacher would be better. Do not send a second letter from the same teacher who wrote a common app LoR. No letters from your pastor.

As lindagaf says, please make sure an adult (GC, Parent, teacher) proofreads your LOCI. It should be short, state that NU is your first choice and you will attend if accepted (only if that is true), and any significant updates you have received since submitting your CA.

Good luck.
    edited January 13
    · Reply · Share
    @DCCAWAMIIAIL I applied to School of Education and Social Policy as a Social Policy major

For CA LOR, I asked my AP Chem teacher from last year and my AP Calc BC teacher

Now, I already sent one from my leadership teacher (since, in the LOCI, I talked about leading a big project at school and how that really pushed me even more to study this major-- along with why I love northwestern)

And I was wondering if I should send another one from....
    my calc teacher since I had her for three years (I realized that's not smart... she's out)
    my lit teacher (only assuming that he would write a nice one since im not that close with him and have a low B but he's my club sponsor so a little benefit?),
    or If I should ask my pastor

I don't know if this is strong but I "revived" our praise team as the keyboardist and the leader since seventh grade. I was also in annual church volunteer programs and retreats. It sounds like a really common church thing so I don't think I'll end up getting one from him
    · Reply · Share
    So you already sent a LOR from your leadership teacher with your LOCI? Then you are done.
    · Reply · Share