right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
COMING SOON "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. This event is exclusively for registered members. CREATE YOUR CC ACCOUNT NOW to receive event updates!

Low GPA with upward trend, Very high SAT, Where will I get in?

spotter3719spotter3719 3 replies1 threads New Member
I seriously underachieved in school starting in 9th grade, but have maintained a steady upward trend in my grades since.
For reference: All four years of high school, I have essentially taken the maximum amount of Honors and AP classes allowed at my moderately competitive high school in an affluent area in Southern California.
In 9th grade and the 1st semester of 10th grade, I essentially received all B's. The second semester of 10th grade, I managed 2 A's, but also received one C in addition to 2 B's. In 11th grade, I took 4 AP classes. First semester I got 3 A's and 3 B's, with A's in 2/4 AP's. Second semester, I got A's in 5/6 of my classes with 1 B in an AP class. First semester of senior year, I am taking 4 AP classes and am on track to get A's in 5/6 classes with 1 B in an AP class. My total unweighted GPA will be around 3.5 after this semester, weighted will be roughly 4.1 over all 4 years. I am in the top 15-20 percent of my school.

On the other hand, I earned a very high 1560 on the SAT, 790 math and 770 English.

Both my school counselor and a family friend who works in college admissions have confirmed that both my essays and extra curricular's are exceptional and should definitely make me stand out.

My race is middle eastern.

I applied to USC, NYU, University of Washington Seattle, UT Austin, SMU, and UMiami.
I applied everywhere as a math or statistics major except NYU, where I applied for Sport Management. I am a double legacy at USC and my parents are minimal donors.

Where should I expect to get in?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Low GPA with upward trend, Very high SAT, Where will I get in?

• RichInPittRichInPitt 1832 replies31 threads Senior Member
    edited January 17
    Are you sure 3.5 is correct? The data you provided is closer to a 3.35 (3.0, 3.0, 3.0. 3.2, 3.5, 3.83 and 3.83 semesters). And the top 15% in GPA? That indicates a much lower than normal grading scale, even with a 3.5.

Even at 3.5 and top 20%, many of those schools are reaches, IMO. SMU and Miami are good matches and have a pretty decent chance. Do you have other safety schools?
    edited January 17
    · Reply · Share
  • spotter3719spotter3719 3 replies1 threads New Member
    Sorry had the percent off. It's in the 20-25 range not 15-20. My GPA as it stands is a 3.45 unweighted but I project that with my first semester senior grades it will be a 3.5. Weighted will be substantially higher given my history of Honors / AP.
    · Reply · Share
  • spotter3719spotter3719 3 replies1 threads New Member
    One other question I have is if anyone has information on the Trojan Transfer Plan for USC. I have heard a lot of conflicting information about it. Is TTP actually guaranteed to legacy students? If not, will I have a decent chance at getting offered it? Sorry for posting so many individual replies this will be the last.
    · Reply · Share
  • hs2020dadhs2020dad 183 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Congratulations...UT Austin is a great school. Are you in-state for UT-Austin ?

Good luck on others.
    · Reply · Share