right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Deferred Ivy, Rejected State School

Collegecid75Collegecid75 5 replies1 threads New Member
I was recently deferred from Dartmouth in November and this past week I was rejected from both UNC and Georgia Tech as an OOS student from Florida. Should I be worried about my future application considering these were 2 of my "safety schools".

33 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Deferred Ivy, Rejected State School

• austinmshauriaustinmshauri 9355 replies352 threads Senior Member
    Did you apply to any schools in FL that you can -- for sure -- get in and that will be affordable? A college isn't a safety unless you're sure you can get accepted and you know your family can pay for it.
    · Reply · Share
  • janiemirandajaniemiranda 492 replies22 threads Member
    edited January 25
    What other schools are you waiting on? Also it would help to see your stats. I think UNC and Georgia Tech both have very low out of state acceptance rates so wouldn't be considered safety schools for anyone out of state.
    edited January 25
    · Reply · Share
  • Collegecid75Collegecid75 5 replies1 threads New Member
    Yes I applied to UCF and UF and got in to UCF. I do realize that both of those schools (UNC and Georgia) are hard to get into but I was excepting admission. Do I still have a chance with the other schools I applied to like Amherst and williams.
    · Reply · Share
  • Eeyore123Eeyore123 1657 replies22 threads Senior Member
    If you got rejected from your “safeties”, yes. However, UNC and GTech are never safeties for OOS students. Do you have any real safeties?
    · Reply · Share
    Here are my stats (condensed)
    ACT: 31
    Subject Tests: Bio: 790 Math II: 750
    Awards and EC: Eagle Scout, Founded my own non-profit organization, 2 varsity sports, have a lot of Piano awards and a diploma from the royal schools of music
    · Reply · Share
    UCF and UF are my other safety schools
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5996 replies1 threads Senior Member
    edited January 25
    I needed to edit since my question was answered while I was typing it.

Generally speaking out of state public universities are rarely truly safeties. Given the very strong reputations of UNC and GT I would be surprised if these could really be considered safeties for any out of state students. Ivy League schools are almost never safeties for anyone.

UCF and UF are very good universities. It sounds like you are in good shape. You just might not have quite as many choices as you have hoped.
    edited January 25
    · Reply · Share
    @DadTwoGirls
    So far I'm still waiting on UF's decision but I got a full ride to UCF.
    · Reply · Share
  • Darcy123Darcy123 425 replies6 threads Member
    Your ACT is in the 25th percentile for both Williams and Amherst. Do you have any matches? Or just the reaches and UCF as a safety?
    · Reply · Share
    @Darcy123
    Purdue is probably my only match and UCF is my only safety.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 42366 replies455 threads Senior Member
    What major did you apply for?
    Are you okay attending UCF or are you hoping to live in another state?
    What's your budget and your EFC?
    · Reply · Share
  • Collegecid76Collegecid76 2 replies0 threads New Member
    For UNC, GT, UF, and UCF I applied as a Biomedical Engineering major while for Dartmouth, Amherst, and Williams I applied as a Music major (Also tailored my supplemental essays to music and submitted a portfolio).
    · Reply · Share
  • Collegecid76Collegecid76 2 replies0 threads New Member
    @MYOS1634
    I would also like to go out of state
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 8769 replies83 threads Senior Member
    If you applied RD to Purdue, that lessens your likelihood of admission as they fill most of their class EA. And, the average ACT score for engineering is a 33.

Kudos for having the UCF full ride under your belt!

For others reading this thread, OOS acceptance rates to flagships is less than what is published by the university as a whole. For engineering or CS, the acceptance rates are even more competitive. GT, UNC, Purdue, etc.....are not safeties or matches.
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 4358 replies56 threads Senior Member
    edited January 25
    You can do full pay at Purdue?
    edited January 25
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 9918 replies538 threads Senior Member
    The title of your post is misleading, because it implies that you were instate for the extremely competitive OOS Public schools you applied to.

For other students, please understand that if you are OOS for a very competitive public U, it’s a reach. Colleges such as Williams and Amherst are reaches for all. OP, you’re a good applicant, but your competition will likely have higher test scores, along with plenty of achievements. It’s a shame you didn’t consider applying to some of the not quite as competitive LACs such as Colby or Bates, if you had high grades, which you haven’t mentioned. All of the colleges you mention will expect top grades along with test scores.

Every year there are students who apply to mostly reaches with one or two safeties. Students should consider adding some colleges with more generous acceptance rates so that they have a number of choices come May 1.

If you aren’t happy with your choices so far, there are still some really good schools accepting applications. You can google College Application Deadlines 2020. Good luck.
    · Reply · Share