right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. Due to very high demand we will be streaming the event on our Facebook page. Let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Cooper Union is rumored to release decisions today (4/1). Share your outcome!
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

How to cancel a *CREEPY* college interview

lilzunililzuni 14 replies3 threads Junior Member
So I requested a college interview, and the school paired me up with an alumni in my area. The problem is that things got a little weird when he reached out to me. He told me to meet him at his private office. He does not work for a company or a corporation, and his private office is in a small, isolated building so chances are there won't be anyone nearby. I looked him up and ( though I know not to judge a book by its cover) he looked really creepy too. I unfortunately already told the school three dates in which I was available to be interviewed, so I don't know if I can convincingly lie about my availbability. For my own safety, I would like to cancel. However, I don't want to destroy my chances at that school. What do I do?
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How to cancel a *CREEPY* college interview

• one1ofeachone1ofeach 893 replies17 threads Member
    If you don’t want to cancel have a parent accompany you at the very least.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3597 replies13 threads Senior Member
    I would just respond and say you are looking forward to meeting him and how about if we met at a particular coffee shop (propose one by his office if it makes sense.). Personally I wouldn’t explain why (because you think he is creepy.).
    · Reply · Share
  • blossomblossom 10223 replies9 threads Senior Member
    You should not feel uncomfortable proposing a public place- this is a good lesson for your entire life, nobody should make you feel like you have no alternative if you ever have safety concerns.

you can respond, "Is there a Starbucks near your office?" The public library near me has a coffee area/lounge which is filled with college interviewers this time of year! It's somewhat more quiet than a commercial diner or coffee shop, is centrally located on various bus lines, and always has people around.... clean restrooms also.

FYI, the singular of alumni is "alumnus".
    · Reply · Share
  • BarbaraCruzBarbaraCruz 23 replies7 threads Junior Member
    Bring a parent or a friend. They will sit outside the room during the interview. It's very typical to have a parent or friend drive someone to a college/alumni interview so it won't appear to be unusual. In fact a good university representative will appreciate your planning.
    Prepare to lead the conversation so it can't go into uncharted territory (I.e. Have questions prepared in advance so you can use them if needed to bring the conversation back to the university focus). If the interviewer starts talking about lots of parties then that is a signal/flag to change the topic with a new question.
    Ask the interviewer about their current interaction with the university (e.g. Do they only do a few applicant interviews (not so good) or are they working collaboratively with the university on internship opportunities (that would be a good sign).

Don't read too much into the looks of the interviewer, but go in prepared and protected.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9126 replies91 threads Senior Member
    Either bring a parent or respectfully request a public place. My alma mater specifically asks us not to meet in private spaces but perhaps the interviewer doesn't consider his office a private space.
    · Reply · Share
  • roycroftmomroycroftmom 3509 replies40 threads Senior Member
    As suggested above, volunteer a public place or bring a driver with you if you feel better. And since you presumably do not want the interviewer to judge you based on your looks ( maybe he finds you creepy too), perhaps do not judge his. He is a volunteer donating his time.
    · Reply · Share
  • aunt beaaunt bea 10178 replies70 threads Senior Member
    I took my daughter to her interviews and the real excuse was that she didn't like to drive. The place was inaccessible by public transportation and there was no Uber/Lyft at that time.
    It was fine. I sat in another area while she interviewed.
    · Reply · Share
  • SJ2727SJ2727 2396 replies8 threads Senior Member
    Another vote for getting a parent or friend to drive you, even if you have a license.
    · Reply · Share
  • Luckyjade2024Luckyjade2024 414 replies4 threads Member
    One of my interviews was in a private office at the end of a work day. It was the best interview. The person who interviewed me was the utmost professional. my parents waited in the lobby. It went extremely well.

I also had a few at Starbucks and a few at the schools itself.

If you don't feel comfortable, bring a parent or suggest a coffee shop...but don't cancel.
    · Reply · Share
  • LindagafLindagaf 10155 replies562 threads Senior Member
    It’s good that you updated, congrats on getting in.

I see nothing to report though, @chemistrynerd30 . The OP THOUGHT the interviewer looked creepy. She THOUGHT it was creepy to meet at his office. To the OP, the situation was not acceptable, as is her right. But there were plenty of options that the OP didn’t pursue and other than her own thoughts on the situation, there is no basis for reporting the interviewer about any inappropriate behavior. My D interviewed with an alumnus at his home and I sat outside while she was inside.

The interviewer didn’t want to meet at another location. Maybe there was no other convenient location. Maybe going to another location would involve a lengthy car drive or add precious time to the interviewer’s day. Maybe the Interviewer needs to be in the office because he is super busy. The OP doesn’t know the interviewer’s situation either. But reporting someone and possibly ruining their reputation because you didn’t like the only option offered is out of order.
    · Reply · Share