right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Admission Officers Name 7 Mistakes Students Make

CCEdit_TorreyCCEdit_Torrey 35 replies347 threads Editor
Avoid these issues during your admissions journey. https://insights.collegeconfidential.com/7-college-application-mistakes
15 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Admission Officers Name 7 Mistakes Students Make

• DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5993 replies1 threads Senior Member
    I was amused by the first of these: "Taking Advice from Those Who Haven't Been Through the Process in Ages"

Some of us regular participants on CC have been through the process *as parents* very recently, but have not been through the process as students in quite a long time.
    · Reply · Share
  • IvyCentralIvyCentral 9 replies0 threads New Member
    My mantra: Virtual tours before applying. Actual visits to those under serious consideration after your kid gets in. Save Money, Save Time and Keep it real.
    · Reply · Share
  • MamaFx3MamaFx3 29 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I agree visiting reach schools are problematic in that it's hard to get excited about the state school you can afford when you've seen the best there is out there. That said, my daughter could not get a handle on what she was looking for in a campus until she took 3-4 campus tours. With admission decisions due the month after acceptance, it would be hard to visit her 7 schools in one month. I will say there were some things she did not like about her reach schools too that she could not have determined without the energy of being on campus.
    · Reply · Share
  • Kk2370Kk2370 24 replies1 threads Junior Member
    Visit after you get in it takes the stress of what if away!
    · Reply · Share
  • MamaFx3MamaFx3 29 replies0 threads Junior Member
    For us, our biggest mistake was not looking into the options for merit scholarships sooner. A lot of the really amazing merit scholarships (Stamps, Robertson,
    Jefferson...) have application deadlines well before the regular decision application deadlines for the college itself (some require EA decisions). As I indicated above, we really didn't start to finalize a list until after college visits late this summer. The RD deadlines ranged form Nov 30 to Feb 1, so she tackled each once as it came, not realizing she was missing out on the opportunity to apply for some full-ride plus scholarships. She may not have been selected but she has a 36 ACT and decent stats and would have at least gotten a look.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1903 replies31 threads Senior Member
    Some of us regular participants on CC have been through the process *as parents* very recently, but have not been through the process as students in quite a long time.

I suspect the author and admissions “expert” hasn’t either.

“Taking advice” in the title is a lot different than “ let(ting) others make the decision” in the text.

7 was interesting. I can’t even fathom calling a Adcom to “aggressively challenge” an admission denial. If I was on the receiving end of that call, it would be a very short one.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 22837 replies240 threads Senior Member
    Visiting a school within a reasonable distance indicates interest. When Adcoms are reading through applications, all things being equal, I think it is valid to give higher weight to an applicant who has visited campus over one who has not.
    · Reply · Share
  • MWolfMWolf 2051 replies14 threads Senior Member
    #7 may be unpleasant for the AO, and bad behavior overall, but what actual harm will it cause the student? Will the AO reject them again? If the student asks nicely and politely, will the AO reconsider?

It is not a "mistake" on the part of the student that will mess up their application. It is bad behavior, but entitled individuals won't stop behaving entitled in cases in which there are no negative repercussions for their bad behavior.

"Aggressively Questioning Admission Officers About Denials" is entitled and a waste of time and energy, but hardly a "mistake" that will harm an application.
    · Reply · Share
  • VinceLestradeVinceLestrade 145 replies12 threads Junior Member
    @XtremeBlaze777 — Yeah, that makes total sense. I applied to 12 colleges, and don’t really have the time nor financial means to visit a number of them. I feel, then, that waiting to hear back from the options is a good first step.
    · Reply · Share
  • SarripSarrip 472 replies22 threads Member
    I think the key word in #7 is "aggressively". It's definitely can't hurt to get constructive input which can perhaps help down the road. Besides, no matter how aggressive and entitled a person appears regarding a denial, they have still been denied so there is nothing to lose, however, I have heard stores of people getting denied and pleading their case got them admitted.
    · Reply · Share
  • datawizarddatawizard 4 replies0 threads New Member
    #6 - Parental Over-Involvement , heheh this is probably the opposite of how it works, the more people helping you out is usually a good thing.
    · Reply · Share