right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Schools are not offering in-person tours because of COVID-19, but many offer virtual tours. Check out our directory of virtual campus tours we know about right now.
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!

I Was Forced to Drop a Class Due to a Scheduling Conflict, How Should I Go About This?

coolkid13151coolkid13151 4 replies5 threads New Member
Hi everyone! At the beginning of the year, I decided to take six classes, including AP Human Geography, with one class spot open for AP Macroeconomics (a class that is required by seniors and can only be taken second-semester at my school). However, I recently learned from my counselor that AP Human Geo had to be dropped because it couldn't fit into my schedule with AP Econ. I know that I have to email colleges about this, but how should I go about this? I am especially worried about the UCs, as I recently learned that I was accepted into UC Berkeley with the chance for Regents.

Just for reference, I am still taking 6 other classes (5 APs, one elective). Thank you so much!
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I Was Forced to Drop a Class Due to a Scheduling Conflict, How Should I Go About This?

• happymomof1happymomof1 30218 replies182 threads Senior Member
    Ask your counselor if you are the one who needs to do this, or if this is something your counselor is responsible for. If it is your job, get your counselor's help with the specific wording of the letter.
    · Reply · Share
  • GumbymomGumbymom Forum Champion UC 29855 replies324 threads Forum Champion
    edited February 14
    From the UC Website:

If there are changes to your academic record: If you add or drop a course, fail to earn a C or better in a course or enroll in a new college after you submit your application, log back in and update your information online. If you receive an offer of admission, be sure to confirm with the campus admission office that they are aware of the deficient grade or schedule changes.

Keep in mind: We cannot guarantee that a campus can go back to review an application after correspondence has been received. Make sure to save a copy of your correspondence just in case.
    edited February 14
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2993 replies72 threads Senior Member
    edited February 14
    I don't think this will hurt your chances. It isn't your choice or your fault, and you are trading in a very easy class (AP HUGE) for a more difficult one (AP MacroEconomics). Your GC might even help you notify colleges on your behalf. If not, an email explaining the situation and ending with "If you have any questions about this change, please call or email my GC at...".

I have to wonder why your guidance counselor wasn't aware that you had a schedule conflict earlier in the year. Might it be possible that your transcript already says AP HUGE for first semester and AP MacE for second? That's how it would have gone down at our school.
    edited February 14
    · Reply · Share
  • coolkid13151coolkid13151 4 replies5 threads New Member
    Hey everyone, this is in reference to my last post about a dropped class this semester. Basically, I had to drop AP Human Geography this semester in order to take AP Macroeconomics (a required second-semester senior class). Because of this, I am taking 6 classes instead of the 7 I said I would be taking (5 APs, 1 elective). I emailed all of my colleges about it, but I can't help but feel worried that the colleges will feel that my email was a bit late, since the semester started over a month ago. Do you think that this is a bad thing?

Just for reference, my counselor initially said that she was going to send the updates, but she totally forgot which is definitely understandable.

Thank you so much!
    · Reply · Share