right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Schools are not offering in-person tours because of COVID-19, but many offer virtual tours. Check out our directory of virtual campus tours we know about right now.
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!

How important is AP English?

gonzaga10gonzaga10 0 replies1 threads New Member
I'm a rising senior picking my classes. I've been debating about whether to take AP English Literature/Composition next year, or an unweighted alternative english class. Also, if it matters, I'm taking AP Lang this year.

I'm worried about the workload, as I'm taking four other difficult APs next year, including AP Spanish Lit. Would taking AP Lit be significantly more advantageous when applying to top tier colleges? Is it better to take four APs and do well in those, or take five and spread myself thin? I'm also worried that I won't have time to complete my college applications to my satisfaction.

Bottom line: is AP Lit a basic expectation when applying to "good" colleges?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How important is AP English?

• skieuropeskieurope 40797 replies7594 threads Super Moderator
    edited February 15
    is AP Lit a basic expectation when applying to "good" colleges?
    No. A college is not going to look at your course selections in a vacuum. They look at the big picture.

Now if your GC fails to rate your schedule as "most demanding" as a result, then the answer might be different.
    edited February 15
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 81261 replies729 threads Senior Member
    Another counselor rating to consider is the one for overall academic strength.
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 35303 replies399 threads Senior Member
    So what are those three other "difficult " APs? It matters that they truly are challenging to adcoms, not just in your thinking. That's the context top tier adcoms will see.

So what's "top tier?" For any highly or most competitive college, there will be thousands of applicants who fit in the right breadth/depth of rigor. It's not just the count of AP or loading up in one subject area.

Add to that, if you come from an area with lots of candidates (not just your own hs, but other local and through your sub area,) you can compete with their records, their choices and results. And, of course, ECs.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2078 replies33 threads Senior Member
    What major and what type of "good/top tier" schools? Math major at MIT is probably different than English major at Columbia. Or Poly Sci major at StateU.

I would think four APs would be considered a rigorous schedule (as long as the others are "core" APs), especially if you've taken a few in previous years. Once you're over 6-8 APs, the incremental course rigor consideration is typically not significant.

Is there no Honors alternative?

(fwiw, my D is planning H Brit Lit as a Senior. After 8 previous APs, including Lang, and 4 Senior year, plus MVC, I figure it isn't adding much to a CS applicant).
    · Reply · Share