right arrow
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: 10s4life just graduated from UCLA with a degree in electrical engineering. He'll answer questions about his experience at UCLA or the college admissions process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Should I drop my AP exams?

catlip4catlip4 24 replies3 threads Junior Member
I'm doing the IB with Physics, Chemistry and Maths HLs. I decided to take the AP exams for Calculus BC, Physics C, Chemistry, and Comparative Politics by self learning them.

I'm considering to drop the AP Chemistry and Politics and I'm wondering how much this will affect my chances considering my dream school is Stanford.
15 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I drop my AP exams?

• gardenstategalgardenstategal 6711 replies10 threads Senior Member
    It won't matter in terms of admissions. There is no expectation that you would take AP exams if you are in an IB curriculum.

The only reason I can think of to take AP exams is if you are applying to schools that will take AP credit but not IB. I know that some of DS' friends took the AP chemistry exam at the end of SL Chem because AP credit would be given when none was given for SL. Some schools give credit for an AP score that is easier to get than the IB HL score required. So it's more about credit and/or placement than admissions.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83752 replies743 threads Senior Member
    Yes, check whether the colleges you may attend give better placement or subject credit for the AP scores versus IB scores in subjects where you may take both.
    · Reply · Share
  • catlip4catlip4 24 replies3 threads Junior Member
    edited February 17
    So @ucbalumnus you don't think that it affects admissions in any way?
    edited February 17
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2430 replies38 threads Senior Member
    An Adcom at a T20 school told us very clearly that their admissions team doesn’t even receive AP scores, let alone look at/consider. Others have mentioned them, but typically minimize their importance, emphasizing that they are used for placement/credit.
    · Reply · Share
    @RichInPitt should I email my colleges saying I'm not taking the exams?
    · Reply · Share
  • cinnamon1212cinnamon1212 1204 replies11 threads Senior Member
    Echoing what @RichInPitt said. My son is not taking AP exams (at all!) The head of college advising at his boarding school told us that this would have zero consequences for admissions.

(There are other consequences, credit, placing out of requirements, but none with regard to the admissions decision)
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 7553 replies35 threads Senior Member
    Sorry, but your chances of getting into Stanford are extremely slim with or without these tests. Chances for everyone applying to Stanford are slim 😉. Pick another dream school that you can realistically get in.

Good Luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 7990 replies85 threads Senior Member
    Over and over the top places say that self-studied APs don't impress them. Only take the exams if prepping for them doesn't interfere with the marks that colleges will see./the exams align with what you have already studied. Don't email the colleges- you would be wasting their time.
    · Reply · Share
    @Knowsstuff there's a reason it's called a dream school. Though I'm aware that my chances are slim, I see no reason not to dream it nor to make the best effort I can.
    · Reply · Share
    @collegemom3717 alright, I guess I won't do any. Are you sure that I won't get any surprises from colleges expecting these exams later on?
    · Reply · Share
  • collegemom3717collegemom3717 7990 replies85 threads Senior Member
    YES. Honestly, you need to put all this energy into something more productive than trying to read tea leaves. Waiting is tough, I know. So- go bake some cookies or go for a run or work at the food bank or shovel your neighbors driveway or....something that will distract you and might do something nice for somebody else!
    · Reply · Share
    Haha.. Lol... Just having some fun here. Having dreams are great. Having realistic safeties /matches are better. Too many students are severely disappointed every year even those with perfect everything. Don't do that 😉.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 83752 replies743 threads Senior Member
    catlip4 wrote: »
    @collegemom3717 alright, I guess I won't do any. Are you sure that I won't get any surprises from colleges expecting these exams later on?

If you told them you would be taking them, then update your application to tell them that you will not be taking them.
    · Reply · Share
  • theloniusmonktheloniusmonk 3035 replies5 threads Senior Member
    "Pick another dream school that you can realistically get in."

Not a very supportive statement, that's kind of the definition of a dream school.

Anyway, OP I wouldn't email any adcoms about this, as others have said, it's not worth getting stressed over.
    · Reply · Share
    edited February 18
    @theloniusmonk and to the OP I apologize if my comments were taken as being insensitive. They weren't meant that way. It's just so many students put down a school's in the single digits of acceptance and seem to be disappointed that they didn't get in.
    edited February 18
    · Reply · Share