right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Concerned about how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes? Join us for a webinar on Thu, Apr. 9 at 5pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

What if I change my current high school after accepting an ED offer?

nomad123nomad123 1 replies1 threads New Member
Hello everyone,
I'm an international student. I accepted an ED offer from a T20 U.S college. I do the IB program and have exams coming up on May. The university that accepted me asked for my mid-year transcript in the admissions portal, and then nothing else.

I may need to commit to and graduate from (I have like 3 months left) a different high school(from the one which I projected to be graduating from) due to personal reasons.

Has anyone ever experienced/heard about anything like this? What steps do I need to take to help this process go smoothly? Would the university disapprove this action - or even rescind me?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What if I change my current high school after accepting an ED offer?

  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2978 replies71 threads Senior Member
    No, your acceptance won't be rescinded. A possible exception would be if you were being kicked out of your high school for disciplinary reasons, but I am assuming that isn't the case.

    Notify the college of the change by email ASAP, then send them your final transcript from the new school. They will let you know if they need anything else.
    · Reply · Share
  • nomad123nomad123 1 replies1 threads New Member
    But I should still get the IB diploma right? I mean can I just move to a school which doesn't offer IB but gives regular high school diplomas of my country (which I'd get alongside IB anyway if I didn't decide leaving my current school)?
    · Reply · Share
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston 15478 replies1042 threads Senior Member
    edited February 28
    It may depend on what these "personal reasons" are.

    Switching high schools at this point will raise a red flag and the college will likely require an explanation.
    edited February 28
    · Reply · Share
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri 9500 replies361 threads Senior Member
    Wouldn't the high school be able to tell you if you're still able to get an IB diploma if they don't offer one? If you were accepted to a college with the understanding that you'd have an IB diploma and you don't end up meeting the requirements for it then that may be a problem. You need to find out for sure that a school that doesn't issue IB diplomas will issue one for you, and if it matters to the college if they don't.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2978 replies71 threads Senior Member
    Ideally if you have a choice of high schools, you'd want to pick the one where you can continue with your IB diploma, yes. However, if you have no choice in the move, and - let's say - due to family finances or relocation, you have no option to stay at the school you are currently attending, then I don't think colleges will hold an inability to continue with the IB program against you.

    Your said, "if I didn't decide leaving my current school". So does "decide" mean you have a choice? If it is truly a choice and not a move that is beyond your control, that's a harder sell to make to colleges. They are pretty forgiving of family emergencies, financial troubles, and/or new jobs requiring relocation, but they are less likely to overlook a move that was made because you didn't get along with faculty or other students - or got into disciplinary trouble.

    How much time is left in your school year? If your exams are in May, you're looking at less than three months, no?
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity